Friends of ours live in the Keys 4 months of the Wisconsin winter, and invited us down for a week of R&R. I had never fished salt before, but quickly talked him into an outing, booking thru the Saltwater Angler. 8am on Saturday we headed out on a beautiful sunny day, a full 80 degrees warmer then what we had left.

4 miles out we came to our first flat, and the first fish we spot is a 5 foot hammer head shark. I wasnt quite ready for this! A few casts later the hammer head gives chase and comes right up to the flats boat! He turns off after almost slamming into the side of the boat and I ask the guide, what exactly am I in for??

We then see Permit, Jacks, and Tarpon far off. We fumble around getting our bearings and have a shot at a couple fish, but nothing doing. We then have come clouds roll in and like someone turned out the lights, the fish were gone. We stalk around for 2 hours without seeing a fish. Our guide complains they might be there and are harder to see without the sun, but we're pretty sure the flat emptied as we took a very hard look around.

We head off to another area and run into a school of Jacks in a channel. We land 5 or 6 fish in rapid succession, and get some fun out of the way.

Our spirits up, we head to another flat. We only find some small sharks we couldnt tempt, and decide to tail Stingrays to target some Jacks. A coulpe of rays later, a Jack hammers my topwater popper and I learn quickly what it feels like to be in my backing. I also learn quickly why drag on a salt reel is so important. This 6 pound Jack fights like Champ! 10 minutes later, I finally get the obligatory photo.

I have another chance at one a little later, but he throws my hook set. All in all, a succesful outing being my first.

I dont read much about Jacks being a highly prized gamefish (compared to permit, tarpon, bonefish, etc) but I was certainly impressed with its fighting ability. Any idea why?

I definitely think I will want to do this again!