+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furling Boards & Methods

Hybrid View

Default Furling Boards & Methods

There is a very large number of Furlers here. Lets see some of the inovations to furling you've come up with.
    I've done away with the push pins, thanks to Warren, and have a small cup hook at the 10% take up point and use a paperclip to remove the twisted legs and hang them to furl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    There is a very large number of Furlers here. Lets see some of the inovations to furling you've come up with.
    I've done away with the push pins, thanks to Warren, and have a small cup hook at the 10% take up point and use a paperclip to remove the twisted legs and hang them to furl.
    What a thread huh? I first read about furling after I saw a fellow demonstrating the procedure at a Dallas Fly Fishers meeting many years ago. I read up on it, found an article by Henk Verhaar that got me going. I soon moved to a powered drill, both ways, having to learn to "hold my tongue just right" to avoid disaster.

I bought Micropatterns by Darrell Martin and have found it a valuable source of jumping off information.

I utilize hardwood for pegs because it can be sanded smooth to prevent material catching on burrs or splinters. Cup hooks at perviously measured points to hold paper clips which secure tag ends not being currently worked.

Shorb loop, what an innovation! I am lazy so love its practicality.

Six foot and four foot leaders. My zero and one weight rods like the shorter lengths, not so much energy required to turn them over and that's good for short, light and delicate.

I'll try to get some photos on here of my board. Bryan Nims kindly built it for me in his woodshop. It's a work of art.

I no longer hang my leaders to furl. I have a snap swivel on the end of a dowel just lift the twisted legs off the end peg and give them some slack.
    This takes a lot of time out of the furling process.

now theres an idea.....

Unhappy

I've been pre-treating my thread leaders with floatant before twisting and furling. The above discribed method of furling DOES NOT work on them!! They are too sticky so I still hang them with the 3 oz. wt.

I'm bumping this up for RDL

Thanks Jack, I've actually been following this for a bit, this was the beginning of the end for me

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Brad

+ Reply to Thread