+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Furling Boards & Methods

Default Furling Boards & Methods

There is a very large number of Furlers here. Lets see some of the inovations to furling you've come up with.
    I've done away with the push pins, thanks to Warren, and have a small cup hook at the 10% take up point and use a paperclip to remove the twisted legs and hang them to furl.

Default Re: Furling Boards & Methods

I am a Kathy Scott purist. Therefore I follow her video religiously and will not stray from her teachings. Actually, I am new at this furling thing and hope to take ways some excellent tips from all of you master furlers out there.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Jack

I am just putting the finishing touches on my new powered board. I will post some pictures when the finish dries.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

RonS81 Guest

I have picked up a hair braider, for twisting the furles. Only wish I could find one that spins a little faster.

[img][/img]

Spins both legs in same direction at the same time. Then will spin them both in the other direction to furle leader.

Where to start....

Ron...you can take the braider apart...e.i. remove the handle and then power it with a drill...check Jim Williams web site for details.

Jack, as I told you before I like using the old metal shower curtain holders.

Rather than use the 10% rule ...which certainly works...if you would like the best possible you twist to just before tailing.

For those that use a drill I would speak against using a battery powered one....it is possible as the battery runs down to get a variable rate of twist on each leg....I use a corded variable speed drill.

There is sometimes a problem with communication so in these discussions definitions are helpful...for example be aware of the difference between twisting and furling....

I don't think I'll ever go to the powered furling...I'm a pretty casual furler so time isn't a big deal and I like the "naturalness " of Kathy's hanging method....to paraphrase something Warren once told me....

Jack,
    "There is a very large number of furlers here". I must be missing something here or at least admit I'm out of the loop on this topic. WHY would someone BE a "furler"? as opposed to simply being a user of the product? The implication of being a "furler" is that you make hundreds of them. Why do you need hundreds of them? Why, again, does anyone who gets one from compliments of your kindness suddenly wants to make their own, hundreds of em?. Unless one sells them, how many can one possibly need? I have seen a demo by Brad ( Kaboom) of the process and lemme tell ya, I'll buy one ( furled leader) before I go through the contortions of setting up the thigamagig to make one. WHAT am I missing??

Mark

Mark, Do you tie your own flies?...make yor own rods?

Ducksterman,
    I acknowledge your jab . No I don't tie or build my own but accept those two activities as different from furling. In furling there seems to be a disproportionate amount of effort compared to value and utility of the item. I do understand however, that one can be compelled to "build your own" no matter what the end product or for whatever reason. In other words, whatever floats your canoe. Please DO NOT read any negative connotation into my post as NONE is intended. I'm am merely curious and therefore my question.

Mark

Marko

For me, the journey is as satisfying as the destination. Making the ?thigamagig? as you call it is part of that journey. Fishing with them is the destination.

I guess that is why I build rods, tie flies, brew my own beer with a brewery I built, re model my home, etc.

Does this make sense to anyone but me?

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Mark,
    I knew what I said could be taken a number of ways...a jab being one of them but knowing you I figured we would be ok...actually I didn't mean it as a jab but just questions... wanted to stimulate dialog..certainly I take no negativity from your reply....if someone ties ,etc. they would understand and if not ...we are into the...whatever floats your canoe thing...which is as it should be.

I'm not sure it is disproportionate .. I built 2 jigs with stuff I had laying around...nothing fancy and was easier than gathering fly tying tools...I can make a leader faster than a lot of flies but will grant you a few leaders can last a long time...

Anyway what I was thinking when reading your post was.... from a pure practicality standpoint what you said was true of fly tying,rod building or leader making.

+ Reply to Thread