While the CDC and Elk is one of my go-to flies, Hans developed another fly that sometimes is just the thing for picky trout. A couple weeks ago I was fishing the St Joe. About 2 pm I came to a large pool with a few scattered rises. After trying a handful of flies, from large to small, I was about to move on. I decided to try my standby fly for these occasions, Hans CDC Micro Caddis. (http://danica.com/flytier/hweilenman...cro_caddis.htm)

With a good drift, light touch and a little luck, I caught 30 fish from this one pool. For those who think CDC flies are too fragile, I caught them all on this one fly. It looks pretty scragly, but who says that is a bad thing. While even right off the vise mine didn't look as good as Hans' fly, it looked better than it does now.

Give this fly a try. I only tie it with tan body in size 18. But it works for small caddis, BWO and midges. It is amazing how easy it is to see on quiet water. After landing a fish, I just squeeze it dry on my shirt sleeve, blow on it a few times, false cast it and it is good to go. Here is a picture of that fly after thirty fish that day (and it wasn't new to begin with)! And here is a picture of the pool. (It is bigger than it looks in the photo)
Rex