Usually by this time of year I have shelved the fly rod in favor of the shotgun. However a storm blew through and the ducks left. Now the weather is nice, sunny and reasonably warm for this time of year so I decided to try fishing instead of leaf raking.

I left the house and headed for some impoundments that hold warm water fish. When I got there the skim ice around the edges was just begining to melt and I put on a wooly bugger and let it fly. End results were close to a 100 bass, crappie, bluegills & green sunfish. Nothing big but a nice way to spend the day. While I was doing my thing I reflected on the equipment I was using and how FAOL factored in.

First the Fly: A awful looking thing of my creation. An olive wooly bugger with a orange Czech bead color and an Emu Hackle. I learned of the Emu from Rick Z from Iowa and about the beads from Cris from Canada. Both FAOL members

Second the Furled Leader: I received from another FAOL member as a gift after I sent him some widgeon feathers.

Third: The reel & Line. A sweet outfit. An Echo Reel with a Rio Line. Works great. Purchased from another FAOL member.

Fourth: The Rod: A 9 ft 3 wt Hook & Hackle IM 6 special. H&H is an FAOL sponsor.

So in my opinion FAOL is one heck of a web site with some great members & sponsors and all deserve a pat on the back.

Tim

PS: Forgot the stike indicator compliments of Mike (Kahuna) of Illinois