+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Praying Mantis

Default Praying Mantis

This morning I was not feeling well, but determined that I wasn't sitting around feeling sorry for myself. Litter Patrol Sat. mornings in NO FUN!, because every Friday night, it seems the Litter Bugs throw more trash on the ground, than any other day. Gathering all my courage, I departed my Apt. and went to work. I wasn't disappointed! I didn't get far, before I had a full 13 gal. bag. I finally made my way across the Complex to the Office and visited a while with the Lindsay. During our conversation I excused myself and went to the bathroom (Still wearing my latex gloves!) My zipper came down just fine!, but what happened next proves you can't win some days. The tip of my latex glove got caught in the zipper handle, I tried to remove it!, but I finally ripped the tip of the glove, leaving just enough to JAM my zipper in the DOWN position! Folks I am a half a mile away from home and my zipper doesn't work! Previously I had my shirt tucked in, but I solved the problem by un-tucking it. So I'm back in business! A little while later, while picking up litter I noticed something green and when I got close to it, I was very happy to see that it was a Praying Mantis! I have loved these creatures for years, but it had been many years since I had seen one. This Praying Mantis was about three inches long and very young. I placed it on my hand and it sat there contently. They are amazing! Not like regular bugs. I used to have one in an open aquarium and I fed it grasshoppers. Praying Mantis & Ladybugs are used in organic Farming because they are predatory. I can only imagine how unhappy a bug community gets when a Praying Mantis flies in.
    I put him back on the ground and came home. Now I'm rooting for the UO Ducks to beat USC!!! Update! 24-17 DUCKS WIN!!!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default Re: Praying Mantis

Doug;
    That sound like quite a day!! I found a gazzilion blue butterflys in my flower garden this am. but finaly took down the Petunias (still some blooms) in a effort to get ready for cold weather.
    Hope you are feeling better this evening.

Jack,
    It was a beautiful day here today! I'm feeling better now. The Ducks winning the football game was helpful.
    UO vs. Arizona State next week (Big Game!) I hope you didn't get attacked by those butterflies??
    I Hate to think what Ed is going to do when he sees my Post!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Nice Doug! Did you ever fix your ZIPPER?! I always see 2 or 3 Katydids this time of year. Been a long time since the Mantis however. I look at the Katydid, would be an easy fly to tie, but do fish eat them?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    Nice Doug! Did you ever fix your ZIPPER?! I always see 2 or 3 Katydids this time of year. Been a long time since the Mantis however. I look at the Katydid, would be an easy fly to tie, but do fish eat them?
    Joni,
    What do you think of this idea?? I'm going to heat up a needle and melt the latex out of the zipper!! Good Idea?? Bad Idea?? Don't worry! I won't be wearing the jeans when I try it!

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    Joni,
    What do you think of this idea?? I'm going to heat up a needle and melt the latex out of the zipper!! Good Idea?? Bad Idea?? Don't worry! I won't be wearing the jeans when I try it!

Depends on what the zipper is made out of. LOL just kidding, men have those metal zippers. Should work.

Doug;
    There is an obsolete Navy title "Commodore" (some where between a captain and an admiral I believe). There was a saying (May need some help from the Navy guy's here!!) that a cadet standing formation with his fly open was going full Commodore!!
    I am a past "Commodore" of a sailing club (a title I may carry forever) however I was elected to office by my peers and not for "Showing Off"!!
    Being a rather old codger I always wear long tailed shirts!

P.S. There is no need to salute should we ever meet (buying me a beer is acceptable)!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    Doug;
    There is an obsolete Navy title "Commodore" (some where between a captain and an admiral I believe). There was a saying (May need some help from the Navy guy's here!!) that a cadet standing formation with his fly open was going full Commodore!!
    I am a past "Commodore" of a sailing club (a title I may carry forever) however I was elected to office by my peers and not for "Showing Off"!!
    Being a rather old codger I always wear long tailed shirts!

P.S. There is no need to salute should we ever meet (buying me a beer is acceptable)!
    Jack,
    I Salute your Commodoreship!! [url=http://www.thesmilies.com:5d89c][/url:5d89c]
    I can't afford to buy you a Beer, so here's one I Copied & Pasted! [url=http://www.thesmilies.com:5d89c][/url:5d89c]
    I'll give you a promotion to Admiral, [url=http://www.thesmilies.com:5d89c][/url:5d89c]
    [url=http://www.thesmilies.com:5d89c][/url:5d89c]

Blog Entries

1995 was a terrible year around here. A 19 year old troubled kid set a forest fire east of town by the time it was out it was 5-8 miles wide and 30 miles long. Nineteen people lost their houses and a firefighter lost his life.

The only upside of the story was the large numbers of praying mantis that showed up in town. During the two weeks of the fire I saw at least 30 praying mantis one of them over 6 inches long!

You won't believe this!

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/ ... is-hummer. aspx?sc=birdwireJul2005
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Doug,

Everytime I read your post, I get this vision of a person walking around with a latex glove hanging out of their zipper!!!

I hope you get the zipper cleaned.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread