+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glass building

Default glass building

Cary just got me two glass rod blanks (Diamondglass) to work on. I've got a question on the plugs for the blanks ... where does one find them? I think I found the right stuff from Custom Tackle Supply, but I'm just not totally sure. And how is it adhered to the inside of the blank? This may be more of a project than I thought it would be!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Re: glass building

Betty, I am thinking about doing a glass rod - what plugs are you talking about - what do you need to plug?

The male end of the ferrule. In completed rods they're always plugged with cork? rubber? Is there epoxy involved? Just "stuffed" in there? Where do you get them? <at least I'm not the only one with the questions!>

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

I'll have to look at my old Fenwick - it never occurred to me. Where did you get your diamondglas blanks?

Direct from Cortland. Cary called them and got them for a song. They're really beautiful!

On the last graphite rod that I built, I bought some cheap rubber stoppers from the hardware store. I had to cut them down and sand them to fit. Then I epoxied them in and trimmed the overhanging end with a razor blade. Took some time but it ended up looking good.

HTH,

Erik

I've built several glass rods from cutting one piece blanks to create two piece rods. I never bothered with the plug - the plug is not necessary to the function of the rod. However it does provide a much more professional appearance.

I would recommend something flexible to plug the blank with though. I found early on mixing graphite with glass produces tragic results due to the difference in the way the two materials bend. You want something that will give as the rod is bent..
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

How about a cutting a little section out of the appropriate sized O-ring and using that for a plug? That's about the consistancy of what I see in some of my fly rods that have plugs.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Kewl!! Will get out the calipers and get "o" rings or rubber plug at Ace Hrdwr!! Thank you!

Have you considered using silicone caulk?

Just apply a small amount just inside the male ferrule until completely filled and wipe excess even with opening.

It's impervious to water and remains flexible. Besides, it's intended to be used as a seal, which is exactly what you want...isn't it?

BTW, no measuring, trimming or sanding required.

+ Reply to Thread