+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: using head cement ....

Default using head cement ....

I've been tying for almost 8 years and have always used head cement. I usually use some type of super glue or zap-a-gap and and apply it to the thread, make three turns, then whip finish. This works well for me and I'm not sure I will stop unless there's a good reason. I'm just curious about those tiers who do not use head cement. I've read several times that if you "tie off your fly correctly" there is no need for head cement. I use a whip finisher and make at least 3 wraps with it. I guess I'm asking what is the "correct way" when not using a head cement. If I don't have to use head cement, and if the fly will not fall apart, then I see this as a step that can be dropped. For those who do not use head cement, are your flies as durable as those who do use cement.

Thanks,
    Greg

Deezel Guest

Default Re: using head cement ....

Using a whip finisher like the Matarelli, I'll make 3 or 4 turns. Have never had a fly come apart at the head. No head cement on dry flies and only when I want a glossy head do I use cement on wets. Of course a right hander must wrap the whip knot from left to right. Otherwise all you have is a bunch of half hitches.

Deezel

I rarely use head cement. After making the head of a fly I just apply a whip finish with 5 wraps. Sometimes before finishing off with a whip finish I'll do a half-hitch. I have yet to have a fly come unraveled. I think the secret is to make sure you apply a good tug to the thread while holding it perpendicular to the hook shaft to cinch down the knot.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Normand Guest

its really up to you. whatever works for you is fine.

i only do half hitches no matter what the size of the fly and head cement. its my preference.

One thing you can do is the same thing I do with my jigs. I don't want a "hard" spot where my chenille meets the head so I thin my head cement a good bit and when I use a small drop there you can not feel it at all.

I also whip finish 4-5 turns and still use it on that too. I also use Flexament sometimes so it stays flexible and not hard to the touch as I do other products like that and the flexament can also be thinned.

Also for cost you can buy a Qt. of Lacquer and thin the heck out of it and have a life time supply of head cement.

However with all that said if you don't have any trouble with it why change?

Skip

I use spur varnish on the head of my dry flies, it is a real old pratice and work better then any other cement because of how it penetrates. For wets, streamers, and nymphs I use lacquer.
    Joe Fox

Never use head cement--three to four whips with the Materilli. For looks on streamers and such I will use red or black "Hard As Nails" with a clear coat. Bill

Deezel Guest

Bill,

How can you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald
    Never use head cement--three to four whips with the Materilli. For looks on streamers and such I will use red or black "Hard As Nails" with a clear coat. Bill
    ?

Don't mean to argumentative but, when used on the head of a fly, 'Hard As Nails' is a 'Head Cement'. The phrase 'Head Cement' simply means some sort of chemical used to protect or enhance the head(wraps) of the finished fly. It is a generic term that includes all brands. There's got to be dozens or a few hundred of chemical and natural products that can be included under the 'head cement' banner: Flex Coat, Fleximent, any of the Goop products(thinned out), any of the nail polishes(including HAN), polyurathanes, varnishes, plastic model paint, any brand of crazy glue, shellac, epoxy, etc.

Hope I didn't bust your bubble.

Deezel

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I've used head cement for years. In the old days, it helped hold my flies together since I finished each fly with three or four half hitches. BTW, I don't think I ever had a fly come apart with three good half hitches and a good application of George Herter's fly head cement. I now finish my flies with a whip finish and a coat of Fly Tite. I really don't see any reason not to use it. Fish don't seem put off by the alcohol solvent (including brim). Fisherman have never refused an offered flies. I just think the cement helps to protect the thread wraps and keep them in place against prying teeth and hemostats. Just my 2% of a dollar. I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

I use it on some flies and not on others.
    All my boa yarn flies get zap-a-gap on the thread wraps. Makes them more durable.
    I find that using some head cement helps on my bead head flies. Maybe because I don't tie them well enough with just thread wraps.
    There is no right or wrong way to do it.

Learn tot whip finish by hand, Makes things alot easier.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread