As the fly fishing season winds down around here, I begin to think about my tying for the winter season. This past summer, I did my first bass fishing and want to do more of that next season. In the past, I have mostly fished for trout, with some time on panfish, so my tying in the past has been geared mostly in that direction. This winter, I'd like to put together a couple of boxes dedicated to bass fishing.

My question is, what should be in those boxes? I'm interested in patterns, sizes, and colors that would be effective for a beginning bass rookie to fish.

My fishing would be mostly in midwestern streams and smaller rivers, along with some small lakes and ponds. I mostly wade the waters when I fish, but sometimes have taken the canoe out for a fishing trip. I hope to invest in a pontoon someday, but don't know how soon that will be.

Also, any books or videos that would help me learn more about bass fishing would be appreciated as well. I like to keep myself busy on those long cold winter nights.

Thanks in advance.

CJ