+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Book on the Rods of Vince Marinaro

Default New Book on the Rods of Vince Marinaro

I don't know if you cane rod builders out there are aware of this book titled, [url=http://www.stonycreekrods.com/book.htm:b76dc]Split & Glued by Vince Marinaro[/url:b76dc] written by Tom Whittle and Bill Harms. It was just released recently and it is all about Vince and his theories on rod building. For those of you that are unaware; Vince Marinaro was an accomplished bamboo rod builder.

This book also includes lots of great photos of Vince and his rods as well as the tapers for his creations. I got my copy last week and it is a pretty impressive book for the bamboo fanatic or Vince fan and I would consider a must for the bamboo rod historian or builder.

Check it out!

Default Re: New Book on the Rods of Vince Marinaro

It is on my list to Santa. Have taken a look at it and it looks like a great book. Harms and Whittle did a great job with the book, and it appears to be a very fitting tribute to Marinaro. I am sure the book have made his family and friends proud. For a glowing review of the book, check out the latest edition of The Planing Form newsletter.

I have been reading it for the past several days and will do a 'review' of it when done. It is a fine book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    I don't know if you cane rod builders out there are aware of this book titled, [url=http://www.stonycreekrods.com/book.htm:a937b]Split & Glued by Vince Marinaro[/url:a937b] written by Tom Whittle and Bill Harms. It was just released recently and it is all about Vince and his theories on rod building. For those of you that are unaware; Vince Marinaro was an accomplished bamboo rod builder.

This book also includes lots of great photos of Vince and his rods as well as the tapers for his creations. I got my copy last week and it is a pretty impressive book for the bamboo fanatic or Vince fan and I would consider a must for the bamboo rod historian or builder.

Check it out!

Hi Bamboozle
    I would like to know if you ever fished with one of Vinces tapers, if so what is your opinion of his tapers.
    Vince was a very talented person, and a exceptional fisherman .

John
    Fish like predator.

Quote Originally Posted by JAd
    Hi Bamboozle
    I would like to know if you ever fished with one of Vinces tapers, if so what is your opinion of his tapers.
    Vince was a very talented person, and a exceptional fisherman.
    JAd:

Just in case you are confusing me with the other "Bamboozle" on the Clark's board who IS a bamboo rod builder; I'm not him. I'm just another schmo fly fisherman and Vince fan who loves and fishes bamboo rods. Not to say you're a schmo too..

In case you didn't make that mistake and care what this schmo thinks; in regards to Vince's rods:

Unfortunately I never fished one although I did waggle a few of his rods once the first time I met him. I met Vince late in his life and early in mine. I have to admit a bit of hero worship because I am born & bred in Pennsylvania and the Letort is a place I fish often and he was/is one of my idols. When I met him I was a rookie fly fisherman and a bamboo fanatic and he spent a good deal of time talking to me about his theories on compound rod tapers. He shaped my opinions on rod length and line weights and as a result I fish nothing but long 5wts and 6wts on the Letort; IMAGINE THAT!

Even though people who really knew him said he mellowed with age; he was extremely nice to that wide eyed star struck kid many years ago!

You might ask Mr. Castwell that same question; he KNEW Vince.

Hi,

Well, I never knew Vince Marinaro and I've only passed through Pennsylvania, sorry to say, but I loved this book. The way Bill and Tom set Marinaro in the context of his times, including all that great correspondence orchestrated by Sparse Gray Hackle, and brought things into the light of today's rodmaking world was wonderful. I wish ever rod had the opinions of three such experts written down, as they did test casting the Marinaro rods.

Beautiful artwork, too.

Kat

+ Reply to Thread