The latest issue American Fly Fisher magazine from the American Museum of Fly Fishing contains a story written by Mike Valla about Winnie Ferdon Dette and her Diary This wonderful article is a glimpse of a tentative book to be called The Dette Files. The Dette Files will be a peak into the Catskill legend of the Dette's, and in turn the Catskill Legend it's self, a compliment to Eric Leiser's great book on this wonderful family. In my investigation of the Dette archives I found a diary which Winnie Ferdon Dette wrote in 1927 -28. It is an amazing piece of literature of the development of the Dette-Darbee legend and the life of a young woman coming of age in the Roaring Twenties. Also in the files were correspondence and a slew of other material such as a manuscript of the fly Tying book that the Dettes were to write but abandoned to keep their marriage intact in 1946. Aside from the material gleaned from the Diary another key piece of the book will be Hans Weilenmann's fantastic photos of the Dette Fly Sample Card files. These reference cards go back to the late twenties and follow through to current times. All in all there are about 1000 flies that have been photographed, most with their recipes as well, to cull through for the book. It will prove to be a gold mine of information for those interested in the history of fly fishing. A virtual time machine