+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vest? Chest pack? Lanyard?

Default Vest? Chest pack? Lanyard?

Im new to this sport, Im looking at purchacing a vest, chest pack, or lanyard. What do most fly fishers like and why? The reason Im not sure is because I know you may go from one spot to another and might be moving, So Im not sure if just a small pack would be what I would want?

Thank You
    Rambo

Default Re: Vest? Chest pack? Lanyard?

There are usually as many answers to that question as there are fly fishers.
    Personally, I have a tech vest - two pods on the front and one on the back - but I use a lanyard for the quick trips where I know exactly what to throw at them.
    A lot of guys prefer to have everything right there when they need it. I've found that I need a fly box or two, forceps, nips, floatant, tippet, and a net. Past that, it's just extra stuff i might need.

Select the fly boxes your gonna use and take them with you to make sure they will fit in what ever your gonna buy. This Is this best tip I can give you on this subject.

Its a personal choice but most fly flingers.I know think that they need it all (gizmos) In the beginning. And eventually start lightening the load once there going to known water.

O and welcome to the board and fly fishing! Lots good advice and people here.

JJ
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hey Rambo! Welcome to fly fishin'.It's all personal preference, but most guys I know started out with a vest. There's lots of 'em, regulars, shorties, mesh, and even those with co2 charges float chambers for when ya take a header while wading in fast water. I personally go with a vest still after fourty some years of fishin. In the warm months it's a little warm, so I just use a lanyard and the pockets of my shorts.
    I have several gear bags full of absolutely necessary stuff, but I just use the vest, or travel light.
    Oh, I also have a small net, and always a wading staff, especially since my hip replacement last year.
    Happy Fishin...........................ModocDan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

If I'm standing up most likely I'll be wearing a vest
    If it's hot or I'll be sitting down,....lanyard
    I tried a chest pack, they're not for people of the "jolly" size
    You can't see your feet.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by dudley
    they're not for people of the "jolly" size
    You can't see your feet.
    Hay I resemble that remark !!!
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Blog Entries

I had a cheep vest, didnt like it, I couldnt find anything when I was canoe fishing. bought a fanny pack, love it in the canoe don't like it when fishing for trout in streams/rivers, love the Lanyard for both. I have come to the conclusion I wll set the fanny pack up for warm water and set up a light vest for streams rivers. and use the lanyard for both.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

It used to be that every fly fisher had to have a vest. There were reasons for that. Back in the day, most people walked or waded the rivers and streams so you had to have the needed or possibly needed equipment with you. The last thing you want to do is hike back two miles just to get some very important piece of gear/equipment that you forgot.

That still holds true today, if you are going to be walking/wade a river and travel a good distance from your rig. Buy a vest if that is how you are going to fish. Some vests are made partly out of a mesh material to allow for better cooling. The downside is that by the end of the day your shoulders and back will ache a lot, just because you have a vest that has all these nifty pockets and you have to fill them will stuff. Even with a vest, a lanyard is great for holding the tools you are going to definitely need--- hemostats, clippers, nail knot tool, Orvis or Cabela?s Cinch knot tool, floatant, one container of tippet, fishing license, digital camera, etc.

If you are going to fish near your rig and maybe you are on a river that won?t allow you to travel the bank much, then you will be going back to your truck to move to another location. A chest pack would work very nicely and also wear the lanyard.

Now days, the chest packs rival the vest in size and ability to carry items, so buy wisely.

If you are going to be fishing out of a boat most of the time then the lanyard is the only thing you need to wear and buy a gear bag or water tight bag for the rest of your stuff. Your back will thank you at days end.

I use a Mayfly Pouch/Lanyard. The small pouch carries what I need when I am fishing out of a drift boat or my pontoon boat and the rest of my stuff is in the gear bag.

Decide what type of fishing you are going to do and buy accordingly. In the long run you will end up with a vest, a lanyard and a chest pack, it is the nature of the game.

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Wanted to thank you guys for your opinion's on my posting. I hope with the experience I get from fly fishing someday Ill try to pass on what I have learned from all of you guys.

Thanks
    Rambo

Don't forget about the hybrid "pouch lanyard"...
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0004281314990a

+ Reply to Thread