+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vest? Chest pack? Lanyard?

Default Re: Vest? Chest pack? Lanyard?

Rambo,
    I hike a lot of small trout streams. I'll usually hike between 3-8 miles. That's why I prefer a hydration fly-fishing pack for access to water immediately. I have the [url=http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=53XR&feature_id=&dir_id=7 58&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670:13505]Orvis Safe Passage Hydration Pack[/url:13505] and love using it. It's a bit pricey though. The [url=http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=96YT&feature_id=&dir_id=7 58&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670:13505]Original Lightweight Safe Passage Pack[/url:13505] is on sale for $69 but you'll have to buy a hydration bladder. The [url=http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/204,72899_Watermark-Hydro-Vest-Pack.html:13505]Watermark Hydration Pack[/url:13505] is on sale for $44.95 but you'll still have to buy a hydration bladder.

If you do not plan on hiking that much than a mesh vest would be a better idea. Just giving you some more to ponder. Good-luck!

Blog Entries

this is the first time i've ever heard of other anglers using the Mayfly pocket-lanyard-thingie, so i had to chime in. it's nifty because it's too small to lose anything in. i especially like that if it's hot and i'm wearing light clothing, the lanyard is padded and it fits comfortably. if it's cold and i'm wearing lots of heavy clothing, the lanyard just goes over my head and everything else, and it fits comfortably. It's too small to get too heavy with stuff. i always wear a belt so the net, staff, and water hang off that. if it's cold enough to need an extra sweater, it goes into my waders at the back. so does lunch--bagels don't squash like bread, and granola bars bend better than cookies. leave the fruit in the car for the ride home.
    geez--sorry. i sound like someone's mother.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

As, already been stated wisely... "there's as many opinions on this, as there are fly fishermen"! Couldn't agree, more on THAT!
    But.........."'since ya' asked".
    After 30 years of turning various waters to beer foam, trying to get a fly out further than 3 feet, I've used everything from the lanyards to vests, to chest packs, and back again to a vest.
    The chest packs have one big advantage, I always liked, over everything else: When standing out, in the middle of a rushing stream, trying to change a spool or tie on a fly you always had this "nice, convenient, drop down instantly- little table" to work on. I've saved a lot of tools and a few reel spools, because this little table gave me something to use when my 10 thumbs couldn't keep a-hold of whatever I was doing at the time!
    Of course, it also put everything I ever needed on any given trip, right there in front of me. When zipped closed, there wasn't a single tool hanging and jangling, out in the open, "making me sound like a gunfighter walking down main street to meet my arch enemy".
    But, due to neck surgery a while back, I had to hang up my trusty pack and go back to a vest again. I chose the "Sage Brush Tech Vest" by Fishpond. It's a mesh vest and has more than enough room to carry the miniature fly shop I always insist on carrying with me!
    I still walk a great deal, on most days fishing and frankly, as for the "lanyards" I never could see where to stick my rain gear, a shed sweater, or, my water and lunch, on one of those "Montana Neckties"!?
    But, like has also, already been stated................ "If you stick with this sport, (and I hope that you DO!), you'll end up with all, 3, anyway so try each out and see which one works best for you!!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Okay...........Now I gotta get one a them Mayfly jobs. Thanks guys !
    And here I was thinkin I had it ( almost ) right Thing is, that Mayfly job looks like the coolest yet !
    I love my Cabelas vest, but, this summer I was thinkin it seemed like I had a lot of stuff I didn't need to pack around. ..........ModocDan

....................Jolly size ?? ya mean me ?? My feet are underwater anyway.................
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Rambo..........
    I used to use a Orvis Tack-L-Pack vest for many years but it got kinda warm in the summer time.
    I don?t think that I would like a chest pack because it impairs vision to your footing while slipping and sliding in a stream.
    I think a lanyard would drive me nuts with all the junk dangling around my neck.
    Last year I started to use on of these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4305 ... tchel.html

It goes over your shoulder and is VERY comfortable and cool in the summer.
    The main body of the pack sits behind your back and is slid around when you want to get something out of it.
    It has become my favorite.
    Hope this helps,
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

I'm a vest guy.

I travel light but like the convenience of all the pockets on a vest.

I have a fly box, several spools of tippet (4X, 5X 6X 7X), hemostats, clippers, a small flashlight, magnifying glasses, polarized sunglasses, my net, pocket knife, a couple cigars, a couple spare leaders, tie fast knot tool, floatant, pocket camera. If I'm going to be far away from my car, I'll carry a bottle of water, some snacks, and some toilet paper (only had to use it once, but it sure did come in handy).

I guess there is other stuff I could carry and do have some pockets on the vest that are empty, but I've never been on the water and been without something I needed.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread