+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OKUMA MAGNITUDE RODS AND OKUMA SLV REELS

Default OKUMA MAGNITUDE RODS AND OKUMA SLV REELS

I am looking at buying a new fly rod outfitt, but I wanted to get some advise first. I am looking at a 9' 5wt. Okuma Magnitude Rod with an Okuma SLV reel. I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with either. I will be fishing for trout, small bass, walleye, and perch.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Default Re: OKUMA MAGNITUDE RODS AND OKUMA SLV REELS

I have no experience with the rods but I do own the Okuma SLV 2/3 reel.

It reminds me of the less expensive reel I purchased for my son back in the 80's. It doesn't have the BIG NAME. But my son was catching fish while the guys with the $500 - $700 reels were attempting to put their reels back together!

My opinion is that it is likely the best bargain for the money. I really enjoy that little reel. I have it on a 6'6' 2 wt H&H rod that I built.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Quote Originally Posted by PanFisher
    I have no experience with the rods but I do own the Okuma SLV 2/3 reel.

It reminds me of the less expensive reel I purchased for my son back in the 80's. It doesn't have the BIG NAME. But my son was catching fish while the guys with the $500 - $700 reels were attempting to put their reels back together!

My opinion is that it is likely the best bargain for the money. I really enjoy that little reel. I have it on a 6'6' 2 wt H&H rod that I built.
    Yep, have the same reel on the same rod myself, and I love it.

Also own 2 other SLV's a 5/6 and a 6/7 all work well and get fished regularly.

For the larger stuff Salmon and Steel I normally use an Okuma Integrity on my 8 wgts.
    FF

I haven?t had experience with the Okuma rods, but just quickly taking a look at prices online:

Okuma Magnitude for about $63
    Okuma SLV goes for about $59

If that?s what you?re looking at (as opposed to a sweeter deal) IMHO, I think you might be wise to consider putting in a little more money towards the rod, and, if you want to save some, save it on the reel.

A rod like the TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) Series 1 in a 2 piece 9? 5wt is a very sweet stick for around $90. Their 4 pc Pro is more convenient if you?re going to travel with it, as are all 4pcs, and it goes for about $20 more. They offer a lifetime warranty (with a modest service charge of around $25 if you need to send in for a repair), excellent customer service and are made here in the US. Other rods often recommended here on the board are by Echo, Redington, and St Croix. Maybe some one can weigh in on those.

Simple click and pawl drag reels Pflueger Medalist Rim Control; Martin Mountain brook, Okuma Carina for about $25 (or the good ole Pflueger Medalist for around $20) or a disc drag reel for a little more like an Okuma Sierra for around $35 should be just fine for panfish, trout and bass. The SLV does sound like a good reel though based on the comments above, so I'm not knocking it, just from a bang for the buck, I'd say put it into the rod.

Best advice though is to line a few rods up and try them and see how it feels. It?s also a good idea to check the warranties on rods, especially if you are going to be throwing clousers, which can really weaken a rod if they ding it on a cast resulting in a broken tip, or cause an unseen stress fracture that can flop the tip later.

Best of luck, I?m sure you?ll have a ball with whatever you get.

peregrines.

+ Reply to Thread