+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage Z-Axis or Loomis GLX

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Default Sage Z-Axis or Loomis GLX

This winter I am thinking about building a 9 ft, 4wt rod. Which do you consider a better blank the Sage z-Axis or Loomis GLX? Both are comparably priced at Cabela's. I've got a second question too: 2 piece or 4 piece? What's the fishing advantage of one over the other? I have a 4 piece, 9 ft, 5 wt. Winston Ibis and it's seems quite bulky and heavy compared to other 2 piece rods I have. Just wondering if the same is true of high end rods.

Default Re: Sage Z-Axis or Loomis GLX

I have not built on either blank --As expensive as the blank is, once components are added - I might as well buy the darn thing -- but I do have sage rods and therefore would lean more toward the sage. Let others give their opinions. I have cast the Z-axis and found it to be kind of like a souped up Sage XP. AS for weight, it is really light. Not sure about the G.loomis. I think Loomis might be owned by a foreign company now whereas Sage is owned by Sage located in Washington state.

I would however recommend 4 piece rods over 2 piece. Four pc. rods are much easier to transport than 2 pc. I hate it when people show up for a trip in my drift boat and bring along a second rod -- just in case -- and it is a 2 piece. It doesn't fit anywhere and it is a real pain. A four piece rod can be stowed in seat compartments, ect. Just easier to travel with in boats, airplanes, back packs, etc.

A 4 pc. does require a couple extra ferrule wraps over a 2 pc -- but that is no big deal.

Default Re: Sage Z-Axis or Loomis GLX

PA,
    This summer I built the Z-Axis. I chose the 9', 4pc, 3wt. I have been an avid fly fisher for over 25 years and this rod is one of the sweetest I've ever used. Early in August, my wife and I went to the Yellowstone area and got to fish the Gallatin. It was a very breezy day. In spite of the wind, the Z-Axis was able to throw a light line 80+ feet into the wind without difficulty (I was fishing very small drys with very small trailing nymphs). I have not used the Loomis, so I can't comment there. If you are considering these rods, go to a local fly shop and try them. Remember, a 4pc will be slightly stiffer than a 2 pc. Best regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

+ Reply to Thread