+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing School recommendation NE

Default Fly Fishing School recommendation NE

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a 'great' not a good fly fishing school in the NE? I took a weekend long class last year that included on water, entomology and casting lessons but came away with an aching wrist and frustrated.

When I learned to flyfish I did not learn the fundamentals and have been playing catchup ever since. I have heard about the orvis, bean and wulff schools but have not heard any opinions as to the quality of instruction.

Many thanks,

Wandy

I think you can get more out of a one-on-one (or two) trip with a very good guide.

You'll want to let the guide know up front what you expect and where you feel you are in regards to experience (novice, intermediate, etc).

As you're in NYC, email me and I can give you the name of a great guide that works on the West Branch of the Delaware I had last spring who really took the time to help my friend learn the ropes. We've already scheduled him for another trip this spring. He's a high school teacher, so teachin' is in his blood.

Where in NE are you? I'm in CT, we (Connecticut Casting Clinic) are planning a few casting clinics in March. These FREE classes will be held at The Hartford Gun Club in East Granby, CT. As of yet we are still only doing fishing classes on an individual one on one instruction basis. If interested please drop me an email.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited 02 February 2005).]
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Ray. I am in NYC.

Hey Ray, when are those classes taking place? Though I live in Ma. I work in Bloomfield. I was thinking about getting a Conn license this year and giving the Farmington a go.

We have a tentative date of March 19th. We still need to clear the date with the shooting club. We are planning a beginners casting class at 10am and an advanced/distance casting class at 2pm.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

7. Default

hi,
    if your are going to in PA in August this is the place to be. Check out our school. [url=http://www.masterschoolofflyfishing.com:80824]www.masterschoolofflyfishing.com[/url:80824]

Very nice place, supper instructors, all around best in the east.

Thanks for looking..............jeff

Confirmed the date today with the gun club. The schedule will be:
    10am beginners casting class
    2pm Advanced casting & distance class
    Email me if interested at ctcastingclinic@comcast.net if these classes fill up we will schedule another. These classes normally cost $75 for the beginners and $100 for the advanced, you are welcome to do both if you wish. The gun club also offered to open the skeet ranges after the class with free instruction if wanted, you only pay a fee for the round.

Ray, is there a train station nearby the hartford gun club?

Ohwandy:
    If you are looking for private lessons I see on her website that Marla Blair offers a full day session, 4 hours classroom and 4 hours on the stream for $180. She's in Conneticut and is pretty well known in the northeast.

+ Reply to Thread