+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rehabbing

Default Rehabbing

How would I go about this project:
    I am going to re-thread the guides on my dad's Shakespeare wonderrod, which I like to use, but I got to athinking about going all the way and re-doing it. So how would I do this:
    1. How do I get the cork grip off? Do I just cut and rip or is there a better way to remove it?
    2. How do you get the reel-seat off without doing major damage to the fiberglass rod? I was thinking about putting a newer reel seat and fighting butt on the end of it.

It is an older rod, mid 70's, fiberglass, white.

Thanks.
    Drew
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Default Re: Rehabbing

Drew,

The reel seat can be wrapped in a heavy plastic bag (like a freezer zipper type bag) and dunked in boiling water to remove it. Check frequently to make sure you apply just enough heat to loosen the epoxy holding it in place.

The cork can be cut off with a knife, but be careful once you get near the blank so you don't damage it. If the cork is not damaged, it can be cleaned with warm soapy water to remove any oils, and lightly sanded after it's dry if need be. This saves you having to replace the handle and winding check, unless you want a new one for a better fit for your hand.

Have fun and post some pictures of your progress if you can. It's a labor of love reworking old rods, especially when you can build a brand new one in about 4-5 hours.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thanks for the info, I actually built my first rod, waiting to take pics, so that is actually what led me to rehabbing this rod. After you remove the reel seat, do you need to clean the blank off with any type of solvent, or does the boiling do a good job of that? Thanks again. I will try to document my progress as I go!
    Drew
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

You can remove any residual epoxy using a plastic knife or old credit card. This will do the least damage to the blank. The same goes for when you remove the guides. Cut the wraps on top of the guide feet, and the whole wrap should come off in one piece.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

getting the blank clean under the seat is ok but not necesary ( a new reel seat will cover the mess up)

also if you cut the cork make sure you dont go to deep, your pretty much going to have to chip away at it. Then when most of it is all off just sand the rest away. Again its not necessary to get all the way down to the blank, but close is good.

With the guides, a little heat will go a long way, the heat will soften the epoxy and make removing them and the thread easier. When the guides are off try cleaning the blank with alcohol and a finger nail or fake credit card.

+ Reply to Thread