+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Waterproof Camera ???

Default Which Waterproof Camera ???

Which waterproof camera does this board recommend between the Pentax Optio waterproof series and the Olympus Stylus 700 SW series ???
    FFF Life Member #22

Default Re: Which Waterproof Camera ???

Dick,

Haven't tried anything but the Pentax Optio and really like it. Easy to carry in a pocket or vest, very nice macro capability, and great optics. Even though the camera is waterproof, we keep it on a zinger. We fish moving water and having a waterproof camera does no good if it gets washed down stream faster than you can move. The only drawback I've found is the glare when trying to compose a picture on the screen (no viewfinder) can sometimes make things difficult. Grizzly Wolf had a great aftermarket sunshade for his that all but eliminated that problem. That's definately on my gotta get one list.

Hopefully the owners of an Olympus will chime in here.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

There is some good info [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20798:169b3]here[/url:169b3].

As another Pentax Optio owner; I concur with Mr. Elk's opinion.

"Say cheese...!"

Ron Eagle Elk............
    I am leaning toward the Olympus Stylus 770 SW because it is waterproof to 33 feet, not just 10 feet like the Pentax and is crushproof to 250 Lbs & good to 15 degrees. It just seems quite a bit tougher than the Pentax. Although there is a cost difference.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

I also looked under the specifications and the Pentax Optio has a closer Macro for close-up shots of things like flies than the Olympus. While the shockproofing is nice on the Olympus, I went with the Pentax mostly due to the closer Macro feature.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Dick,

I haven't checked the price on the Olympus, so I can't comment on that. Our Pentax hasn't been treated with kid gloves and just keeps going. If I have to go deeper than 10 feet to get a camera back, it may just have to stay on the bottom. My diving days are long over, though I would like to see what's in some of the holes on my favorite river. I can't see putting 2250 pounds on a camera, except possibly sitting on it, but accidents do happen.

When I was using film cameras, the Olympus OM-1 was my 35mm camera of choice after dropping my old Nikon F out of a helicopter hovering at 75 feet. Olympus has great optics (but in this day and age, who doesn't) and makes a very fine camera.

For me, when I was using film cameras, how a camera felt in my hand was always a big deciding factor for me. Were the controls where I expected them to be, was it comfortable to use, that sort of thing. If you have a camera store nearby that carries both brands, why not give them a heft? See which one fits your hands and finances the best, then go for it. Either way I'm sure you'll get a fine camera.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I have the older Pentax Optio WP 6MP Camera for over 2 years and it still takes great pics even after going on many swimming excursions! I'd very highly recommend the Pentax. Good-luck.

Not owning one, I can't comment on the Olympus, but I am SO satisfied with the Pentax line that after buying the WP I "bought my wife" the W30. Great little camera and the Macro mode shines.

Mark

I can't find it now but when I was looking at waterproof cameras I found a webzine article comparing the two. They came out very equal in value overall with the pentax getting the nod as the better choice because it had a better video function. I have been overall satisfied with my pentax.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

dixieangler...
    I can't see as to where the Olympus looses much to the Pentax in macro mode. True the Pentax goes down to about a half inch, but the Olympus focuses to 2.8 inches. You can alway crop from there. Just how close do you have to get to photograph a fly ???

The reason that I started this thread was that I began hearing some good things about the Olympus line of waterproof cameras.
    I have been shooting with a Pentax Optio W30 for about a year now and generally liked the camera.
    Then I noticed on eBay where Olympus was selling refurbished Stylus 770 SW cameras for about $100 off list price.
    I also had problems with the Pentax with flare, (rogue light spots), even while shooting with flash indoors.
    I was drawn to the 770 because it was supposed to be better in low light situations, (it has a F3.5 - F5 lens compared to the Pentax F3.3 - F4 lens.)
    The Olympus is good to 33 feet underwater as compared to the Pentax?s 10 feet.
    The Olympus is more shockproof, (they say you can drop it from 5 feet and it will not hurt the camera.)
    There is a cover over the lens, (for scratch protection), till the power is turned on.
    I just received the camera a few minutes ago by FedEx and am charging the battery now.
    If as I suspect, the camera will preform better than the Pentax, the Pentax will go up on the eBay block to make up part of the difference in cost.
    Thanks again,
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread