+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Furled leaders

Default Furled leaders

Hi all,

Furled leaders...are they as good as I've been reading? I think I understand the principle behind them but am curious as to why they wouldn't spook the fish...they seem like they would. Being new to FAOL, I don't really know what the policy is regarding mentioning specific companies when posting, so to the moderators, if I'm in violation, please edit accordingly. I came across a company named Blue Sky while searching the web for info on furled leaders. Does anyone know if their products are reputable? I especially liked their strike indicator setup for nymphing...that is where the subject of furled leaders first came up...on another post. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Blog Entries

Default Re: Furled leaders

Yes they are fantastic.
    It can help the issue of spooking fish because they turn over and lay down flies gently.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

They don't spook fish. If anything they land and lift off softer than mono. I tried the Blue Sky Furled leaders. They worked good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    They don't spook fish.
    It didn't make any sense
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright

I have to respectfully disagree with that.
    If you are not a good caster and are slapping and slurping the water with your fly line and all your casts are landing harshly. Then it really doesn't matter how lightly the short furled leader is laying down because most all the fish in the area are going to be spooked away from your fly line slapping and slurping the water all over the place.

If that's the case it's not the fault of the leader thats spooking the fish, it's the caster!!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Blog Entries

Haha, Good point!

I didn't think about that for some reason.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    If you are not a good caster and are slapping and slurping the water with your fly line and all your casts are landing harshly. Then it really doesn't matter how lightly the short furled leader is laying down because most all the fish in the area are going to be spooked away from your fly line slapping and slurping the water all over the place.

If that's the case it's not the fault of the leader thats spooking the fish, it's the caster!!
    Ditto that...Chris it was apples and oranges...or should we say lines and leaders

Thanks guys. I was getting ready to fish slap Chris.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Thanks guys. I was getting ready to fish slap Chris.
    Chris

I like to fish smallish streams, where I usually have to cast straight upstream, or only a modest angle from there. I'm concerned that, because I like to use slack line casts a lot, the end of the furled section might bop a trout on the head (the tippet section would be effectively shortened by the slack waves). Since I've always used mono leaders, I'm thinking that the thicker and opaque furled section would be a lot more visible to a fish under these circumstances. I can't stand 30 feet away, and throw a nice quartering cast with a curve; it's upstream, with the fly a little up from the fish. Does a furled leader also give me an advantage here, or should I stick with mono?

Chuck

+ Reply to Thread