+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So long Joe Torre

Default Re: So long Joe Torre

Bamboozle - I've been a Red Sox fan all of my life, and I'm loving all of this!! The reason??? Because the Yankees Organization have just made one of the greatest mistakes they could possibly make - letting go of a class act A#1 manager, who's management style was dead on and even keeled.
    Everyone in Red Sox Nation reveles in this, because this further diminishes the Evil Empire in their gready "win at all costs" attitude, and we love to see them make these mistakes.
    A recent poll shows 78% of Yankee fans realize that this was a mistake, and the remaining 22% are the "win at all costs, let's try to buy the series" fans that all of baseball has grown to detest.
    The Curse of A-Fraud (a.k.a. A-Rod) lives, and will continue to haunt that defeated, over extended, no good, classless organization for years to come so long as he's there. They've spent 1.3 Billion dollars since winning it the last time trying to win it all. 1.3 BILLION!!!
    P.S. What's the difference between a Stadium Frank (the one's the Yankees sell at that concrete jungle they call a stadium) and a Fenway Frank (the one's they sell at the nations most beloved ballpark)? It's simple; the Fenway Frank is the one which can be bought readily throughout October!!!
    Not bringing back Joe Torre......HA!! Almost equates itself to the Sox letting "Ruth" go all those years ago. Good gracious this is going to be fun to watch that whole Organization and mass exit of their key players fall apart....
    Lets Go Red Sox (Clap.. Clap.. clapclap..clapclapclap)!!!

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast Brookie
    Bamboozle - I've been a Red Sox fan all of my life, and I'm loving all of this.....!!
    Yawn...

Call me when you guys have played in your 39th Fall Classic or win your 26th World Championship. Until that time the Sawks are just one WS victory ahead Pittsburgh.

I wish we were in your place but I'm not surprised the Sox are. They're a great team this year but hey; only the Yankees spend money to win. Hmmm... $100 million for Dice-K seems to be a distant memory and A-Rod was a millisecond from being YOURS for the same amount of money.

But no matter what you guys think; a managerial change was needed. Remember; Philly was delighted to get rid of Terry but he obviously clicked in Bahston. Joe's style just wasn't working anymore. We'll be back; that's for sure.

Have a Fenway Frank and enjoy the Series!

My Pinstripe Pride prevents me for wishing you luck.

I'll be rootin' for Colorado!

nighthawk Guest

Guess I should have listened to my own inner voice and not posted this here. I did not intend this to become a battle between fans. Simply wanted Joe Torre to get the tip of the hat he deserves.

Things could have been a lot worse for the Yankees under a different manager.

J.C.,
    I apologize for posting this. I know better. Please delete this thread.

Blog Entries

Erik, thank you for the tip of your cap to Joe Torre. we'll miss him, but nothing lasts forever, does it? it's great he could stick around so long, and now it's even greater that he is rich and still young enough to enjoy whatever comes next. his press conference the day after the Janks gave him a offer he could refuse was a genuine treat. he answered all sorts of questions from the NY press with a grace that astonished me (not living in NY and being a Nats fan) and left the press happy--no mean feat!
    's long, Joe. it's been grand.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

What do you think of this story? http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/sport ... f=baseball
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I have been a yankee fan all my life. I like Joe Torre but have never thought he was a great manager. He was a good 'people' manager and he may know baseball, but lets face it, his decisions blew a lot of games this year. Oh sure, the pitching had some weak spots and I am not talking about games when absolutely no one was available, I mean when he had 4 or 5 oitchers available and he brings in a Sean Henn, or in the playoffs when he brings Wang back on short rest after getting clobbered. He had other choices and didn't use them, and those are just 2 poor decisions. This year especially Joe looked like he was just going through the motions. The Yankees, even with their unstable pitching are going to win around 90 games every year just with their bats. A great manager can win a team a dozen games more than they would have won with out him. I can think of more that he lost for them than he won for them.
    Torre had a losing percentage as a manager before he came to the Yankees. Sure, when a decision works, the manager is a genious, and when it fails he is a bum but he made some decisions this year especially that were so obviously wrong that I think it is a miracle he wasn't fired mid season. His main job was keeping egos in check. You have to combine that with good decisions on the field. Like to see what he could do with a team like Baltimore. Sure, Joe is a nice guy and we have gotten use to him but I have to say I am not sorry to see him go. I wish they could steal Lou P away and see what he could do.
    Everybody likes Don Mattingly but I just don't have good feelings about his managerial skills. He failed as a batting coach even though he was a great hitter himself. So they made him the bench coach. I think Joe G would do a better job.
    Everybody loves to pick on George S. The last few years he has kept a low profile and still people like to jump on him. I think when you pay people what he pays them he has a right to expect them to produce.
    The Yankees are going to have to pick up a top pitcher or two.besides their young guns. I just hope they don't trade them away.
    Any team can spend money for ball players. Some owners don't want to, it is not that they don't have the money...Winning teams bring in the fans.
    As far as him turning down 5 mil... You don't reward people for not producing. I don't think he wanted to come back. He looked tired.
    He's a millionaire many times over...So enjoy the rest of your life Joe, maybe even take up fly fishing, you're a good guy,...just not a great manager...

Quote Originally Posted by mantis
    I wish they could steal Lou P away and see what he could do.
    Man oh man do I wish the same thing!!

Joe had the highest payroll in baseball to play with and get the results he did. George recently said when commenting about the NEW manager's chances for success with the team; "he won't be getting the 1996 Yankees".

When the Sox finish off the Rox tonight it will give Hal & Hank the green light to make the managerial announcement tomorrow.

Here's hopin' it ISN'T Donnie Baseball.

BTW - If Joe was such a great manager; how come no other team has made him an offer?

...just wonderin'

I have a Question; Are the Yankees going to give Alex Rodriguez a new multi year contract and if they do, then how will this affect the Team?
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Doug:

The word is they are going to offer Alex a new contract very soon at more $$$. But IF he opts out of his agreement; the Yankees are going to let him walk since an opt out deal may approach $30 mil a year

How it affects the team shouldn't be an issue. They ALL get paid a LOT of money and usually get more $$$ when they renegotiate their own contracts.

I personally think a particular baseball player's salary bothers the fans more than the players. What Alex gets helps all the other players in the long run; either though increasing their own worth or in indirectly because the Yankees pay the highest revenue sharing of all MLB teams. That revenue sharing $$$ goes to the other teams so they can spend $$$ on their players.

+ Reply to Thread