+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Are Jon Boats welcome in this forum?

Default Re: Are Jon Boats welcome in this forum?

I would not disagree with hoboflyfisher's assertion that the shorter jonboats are more susceptible to accident, and that annually a disproportionately high percentage of drownings result from their use. They are a very popular boat type but too often get used in conditions they are not designed to handle.

Here in Kansas where the wind speed jumps up suddenly and/or changes directions unpredictably, jonboats have been involved in quite a number of drownings on our big federal lakes. Any number of mistakes can lead to a boating accident, of course, but with jonboats the two main ones are overloading (too many passengers/too much weight, which reduces freeboard) and taking the boat into hostile conditions for which the boat's length, width and hull design are not adequate.

Many people assume that just because they're riding in a boat -- any boat, any size -- this alone makes them invulnerable to wind and waves. So every year we have powerboaters, kayakers, canoeists, sailboaters, rowboaters, rafters, jonboaters...representatives of all categories dying by drowning accidents quick, fast and in a hurry here in Kansas. All you gotta do is screw up real bad just once in the wrong place.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

While fishing the bays of Southern California I have seen many and I do mean many 12' boats with 6 to 8 passengers headed to Catalina Island.

Yes this causes many drownings but it has more to do with the size of the IQ than the boat.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PanFisher
    While fishing the bays of Southern California I have seen many and I do mean many 12' boats with 6 to 8 passengers headed to Catalina Island.

Yes this causes many drownings but it has more to do with the size of the IQ than the boat.
    Exactly!
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by hoboflyfisher
    I see that many of you are posting having smaller Jon boats in the 8, 10, 12 foot range. I've read from many sources that 80% of all boating fatalities have been from these sized boats. Some states are in the process of outlawing them. I personally own a 16 footer with a 54 lb trolling motor.
    Small jon boats are dangerous indeed! I've had a few close calls in my 10 footer.
    There's a business here on one of our local lakes that rents boats, and they had to replace all of their jon boats because their insurance carrier refused to cover them.
    It's ALWAYS a good idea to wear a life jacket when you're in a jon boat - even if the law does not require it. It's also a good idea to stay relatively close to shore -- especially when the water is cold. Swimming 50 yards or less is possible before cramps set in from hypothermia. If you're in the middle of a lake when the boat goes under, you'll probably become a statistic.
    Many people die in the spring because they do not realize that even though it may be 70+ degrees outside, the water has not warmed up yet.

I finally got a shot of my boat. Works great on still waters and NO WATER SKIERS! I'd love to have a 19' Lund, but this one gets me places I haven't been before. The trailer bed is 8' long and the boat is 12' long.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I had a 14' Jon sold by Sears, for a few years. It was somewhat narrow, a little over46" at the widest point. This boat was excellent for duck hunts, as it went through the tules and stuff pretty good. I often ran a 5 H.P. outboard on it, but with only one guy, it was a little too much motor. Mostly, I used an old MinnKota troller with the battery up in the bow to keep 'er trim. It was a fairly unstable boat, all in all, with the narrow beam, so I sold it when my kids were getting big enough to go out in a boat. I solved the wave slap with glued on indoor outdoor carpet pieces up in the bow. The boat had only about 8" of freeboard, and was sometimes a challenge when flycasting, and moving around. I never thought I wanted another Jon, but after reading what some of the guys have said about 5' beams, and 14" freeboard, looks like I might be in the market next spring. As for their being welcome here, why yes, I think so. Anything slow, and adapted for flyfishing oughta be O.K. Long as we dont get into a bunch of skiing, and wakeboarding and all that..............ModocDan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Technically I have a jon boat and I do row it.... but it also has a jet outboard (although only a 20 horse its more than enough). It just so happens to be a 20 footer. If you want a challenge row this thing on a windy day!

Hopefully this attachment works... (edit: apparently I can post an attachment, but I don't have permission to see it? Is that right?)

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...ishpics586.jpg

www.arkansastroutbum.com

Blog Entries

Do you have an intercom so the guy in the front can talk to the guy in the back...

Nice boat by the way.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    Do you have an intercom so the guy in the front can talk to the guy in the back...

Nice boat by the way.

We use sign language. You can probably guess what kind.
    I'm considering upgrading to two cans and a tight string.
    Last edited by Lotech; 12-22-2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: additional comment
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread