Quote Originally Posted by hoboflyfisher
I see that many of you are posting having smaller Jon boats in the 8, 10, 12 foot range. I've read from many sources that 80% of all boating fatalities have been from these sized boats. Some states are in the process of outlawing them. I personally own a 16 footer with a 54 lb trolling motor.
Small jon boats are dangerous indeed! I've had a few close calls in my 10 footer.
There's a business here on one of our local lakes that rents boats, and they had to replace all of their jon boats because their insurance carrier refused to cover them.
It's ALWAYS a good idea to wear a life jacket when you're in a jon boat - even if the law does not require it. It's also a good idea to stay relatively close to shore -- especially when the water is cold. Swimming 50 yards or less is possible before cramps set in from hypothermia. If you're in the middle of a lake when the boat goes under, you'll probably become a statistic.
Many people die in the spring because they do not realize that even though it may be 70+ degrees outside, the water has not warmed up yet.