+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Any Musicians Here?

Default OT - Any Musicians Here?

I hope this is okay to post here - it's off topic, but in the short time I've been fly fishing, I've noticed a lot of similarities between being a fly fisher and a musician (dedication, specialized skill, money, practice and a bit of creativity). I've only been fly fishing for a couple months, and I already see it seriously cutting into the money and time spent on guitars, etc.!

So, how many musicians do we have here? What do you play? How long have you been playing? What are you doing with it? etc., etc...

As for me, I have been playing guitar for a little over 21 years. I mainly play acoustic open mics in my area. I play all styles of music, but mainly Americana type stuff. I also play a little bass, drums and harmonica. I play a lot of covers, but also write some original stuff. I have been in a few rock bands over the years that went nowhere. Now I just mainly play by myself. I also dabble in guitar repair and guitar building, and do all my own setups, electronics/pickups replacement, etc.

I currently have a 94 Stratocaster, a 96 Stratocaster, a 2001 Nashville Deluxe Power Telecaster, an Epiphone Faded G-400 (SG) and a 2000 Martin SPOOOC-16E Acoustic. My 96 Strat started as a beat-up sunburst body that I refinished in Vintage White, then built from the ground up from parts acquired from eBay and other sources. It started with three single coils, then became a two humbucker guitar, and is currently a single humbucker guitar. But it probably won't stay that way for long - I love tinkering...

Anyway that's about it for me. Anyone else?

Also, if there is any interest, I have a music page on Myspace at http://www.myspace.com/davidbrasier with a few demo songs.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Default Re: OT - Any Musicians Here?

Yea, I play bluesharp. Learnin to play Uke, but ain't got far on account of an already busy life. For about three years, till I moved up here to Oregon in Y2K, I sang in a four man acapella gospel quartet. Still sing acapella gospel, time to time, in church, and special functions with my old gospel quartet buds...
    ........ModocDan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Dave,

I know there are other musicians here. Me personally started playing bass in 1972...so how ever long agoe that was. I was a music major in college (voice) and played "full time" for several years....sometimes it's hard to tell when that stopped.

I don't play much any more, and haven't the last 8 yrs. Played country for years (the only way to make any money in Texas) and loved it, also the last full time band I played in was a Texas Blues/ R&B band with some GREAT musicians......now that was a blast!!!!!

The only bass I own now is my original 1965 P-Bass....it's a doll.....and I've had it longer than all my wives (and girlfriends for that matter) put together!

And yes, I do think there are similarities between music and fly fishing.
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

I certainly wouldn't call myself a musician, but I've been playing harmonica for a couple of months now. It's fun but the learning is coming slowly (like any worthwhile endeavor). I'm also about to try my hand at guitar. I've never played a lick in my life, but now I have the time to learn. I'm considering buying a Zager for my first instrument.

Musicians and fly fishermen share a common affliction. Either will be broke before they get really good, especially when they concentrate more on the equipment than on the "doing." And neither will ever stop learning.

Best,
    Will

I play ukulele for my own amusement
    wouldn't want scare anyone
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

im one. ive been playing piano and taking lessons for 10 years now and ive gotten very good (cockiness unintended) and ive been playing the trumpet for school for 5 years now and im first chair in the highest band at my high school, and im in the school marchingband. im hoping to become a professional musician when im older and a part time private music teacher.
    so thats my musical history in a nutshell

I am not. I can't hear the difference between a sharp and a flat of the same note.
    Maybe that is why my flies are ugly.

Rick

Haven't played out in about 4 years. I used to play blues jams a lot, bands in college before that. My main instrument is a Fender Custom Shop Esquire. Nothing finer than a Tele into a tweed Bassman.

I've been a professional musician for all of my working life. I play the viola in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

I play or have played - Acoustic Guitar, banjo, harmonica, mandolin, trumpet, mountain dulcimer, hammered dulcimer, concertina, jaw harp - but I'm only proficient on 3 or 4 of them (because I can't afford to own one of all of them). Most of the time I just have to try something out to see how difficult it is.

I got to hear Thunderthumbs bagpipes at the MO Fish-In and have always wondered how tough that'd be.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

+ Reply to Thread