+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streamer feathers

Default Streamer feathers

In his tutorial on tying a Hornberg, Loren Williams shows a pair of perfectly shaped yellow streamer feathers that he says are from a Chinese cape. They look perfect.

With the genetic hackle producers today we are left with a complete void for such nicely shaped feathers. The closest I've come are those from a genetic hen neck. I found Whiting's to be a better shape than the Metz which are too blunt at the tip.

I'd appreciate comments.

ALSO: Where can you buy gray hackles suitable for Gray Ghosts. I've tried Light Dun but they just look too dirty.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Streamer feathers

Ray,
    The original Hornberg used yellow calf tail, not hackle. As for the gray feathers for the ghost, I buy Chinese rooster necks in white and dye them.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by biot midge
    Ray,
    The original Hornberg used yellow calf tail, not hackle. As for the gray feathers for the ghost, I buy Chinese rooster necks in white and dye them.
    Steve

is there a source for the original pattern recipe??

the book streamer fly tying and fishing by joseph bates lists yellow hackle as the underwing followed by the mallard overwing (page 288-289). it also specifies after the recipe "as dressed by the weber tackle company".

http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/swaps/hornbergs/

Ray,

I second the recommendation on materials from FeathersMC. John McLain's stuff is top notch. I have several of these streamer saddles and the colors are true and the feathers look great on the hook.

Joe

I have been switching over to Whiting American Rooster Capes and Saddles for all of my streamer needs. They are genetic hackle designed for streamers.
    Joe Fox

Ray,

For Gray Ghosts, John Mclain's Rangeley Streamer Saddles can't be beat. I just bought some a couple of months ago for that very pattern. The color is called Sun Bleached Dark Ginger. I have never seen a closer color match to the wing color that Carrie tied that's in Bate's book (the latest version with new color plates), or what's pictured over at the Rare and Unusual site that they had for sale at one time. He also has some other shades around that color that are better than you'll ever find in any other shop. Besides the colors, the feather structure is really good too. They're a real deal at the price he's selling them at.

Regards,

Mark

+ Reply to Thread