+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a Location: 7 day float

Default Looking for a Location: 7 day float

I need some help identifying a location for a trip I?m planning this summer. The plan is to float for about 6/7 days?.one important factor is the ability to camp along the way. I?m not looking to a trip each day, but instead do one continuous float. Anyone have any suggestions. Ideally it would be a fairly calm stretch of water. One thought was British Columbia; specifically the Quesnel Lake Region. I would be very interested to hear information about that region, and also to hear any suggestion areas.

Default Re: Looking for a Location: 7 day float

are you using canoes? if so how long of potages would be ok. BWCA would be my first thought
    -Jeff

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GBurgFisher
    I need some help identifying a location for a trip I?m planning this summer. The plan is to float for about 6/7 days?.one important factor is the ability to camp along the way. I?m not looking to a trip each day, but instead do one continuous float. Anyone have any suggestions. Ideally it would be a fairly calm stretch of water. One thought was British Columbia; specifically the Quesnel Lake Region. I would be very interested to hear information about that region, and also to hear any suggestion areas.

Why so far from home? There are plenty of opportunities for just such a trip here in Pennsylvania. The Susquehanna, Delaware and Allegheny come to mind right away. All are relatively calm rivers that either have trout populations or headwaters populated by both native and stocked trout.

Please don't get me wrong. I have been to Canada several times, specifically the Rice Lake, Ontario region. Beautiful country, great people.

Check out these folks:

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I didn't even think about the local opportunities! I'm trying to get a group of friends invested in doing this every year. I think, for some reason, that doing it out of state adds some allure to the whole thing. Thanks again and keep them coming in. I want to have a few suggestions for the group so that we can make the decision together.

The Smith River in Montana is supposed to be spectacular. I have several friends that have done it. It would be worth your while to research it.

A couple ideas..

Buffalo River in Arkansas

Ozark National Scenic Riverways in Missouri (Current River and Jack's Fork Rivers)

All hold designation as National Parks...gravel bar camping is free and there are plenty of canoe outfitters serving the area. Cheers.

The Salmon river in Idaho.

B Kelly

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

How about 100 miles of ...

[url=http://www.greatcalusablueway.com/main.php:aee44]The Great Calusa Blueway Paddling Trail??[/url:aee44]

Snook almost as long as your leg, Speckled Trout up to almost arm's length and Redfish somewhere in between. Well .... not all of them. See dolphin, manatees, etc, etc. and waaaayy too many birds to list.

Oh, and if you do this during the warmer months ... BRING DEET!!!
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

+ Reply to Thread