+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tennis elbow

Default Tennis elbow

I read J.C?s article on tennis elbow and I don?t think that I have the same thing going on. (My arm does hurt from lifting heavy objects at work but it was just a 1 time thing). Any ways this is putting a damper on my flyfishing. I can suffer through a day of fishing but it will hurt for real the next day. It is not helped by the fact that casting in Michigan this time of year is with heavy rods for Steel and Salmon. Even the trout fishing this time of year would be throwing streamers with sinking line. This has been with me for about 4 weeks and I have rested it pretty well the last 2 weeks. How long can I expect this to hinder my fly fishing? It really only hurts on the back cast, the forward cast I can put as much power into it with no pain at all. Does anyone have experience with this?
    Thanks,
    -Jeff

Default Re: Tennis elbow

Jeff,
    My suggestion is to go to a Physical Therapist.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I went to the doc. and he gave me a muscle relaxer and told me it could take up to 8 weeks. This is totally unacceptable! ( I could probably learn to cast left handed by then). It has been 2 with near total rest and I have to say that I feel great but I would hate to get on a river to soon and re injure it. He also gave me stretches and exercises to help so it doesn?t come back and even these don?t bother it too much. It is mostly fly casting that I am interested, I do know it would probably be 6 months before tennis would be recommended.
    -Jeff

If this has been going on for a week or two, I would strongly suggest you contact your doctor.

Chances are you're experiencing something that a few days rest will fix, but there are also other things that are more serious and continuing injuring the area is only going to make matters that much worse.

Please see a doctor. You may loose the rest of this season so that you can enjoy many more seasons to come.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Bird Dog

Getting it checked out by a Dr, and a PT is good advice. Preferably ones that FF for steelhead or whatever is running now near you, so s/he can balance priorities and realities. I?ve had it too, no doubt due to poor mechanics in my case. A casting instructor might be worth looking into if that?s a possibility. I was really squeezing the handle during casts, especially when trying to throw long. If you squeeze your fist, you?ll feel it going right up to the elbow. Maybe that?s what?s happening to you.

Disclaimer: Rest IS the responsible thing to do.....so disregard all that follows...

I found that going to a larger diameter grip helped me a lot as a temporary workaround while it hurt like %#$*. It won't look purty, but maybe try some pipe insulation around the handle (temporarily) to see if it helps any. Just cut a slit lengthwise, slip it on and take a couple tight wraps with electrical tape (so you won?t permanently mess up the rod). And keep a big bag of peas in the freezer as a compress for when you get home.

Check with your Dr or PT if this is appropriate, or if I?m full of beans, but some exercises that helped me a lot and maybe especially if you have strong biceps, are reverse curls with a barbell (thumbs in), and reverse curls with one-handed dumbbells (thumbs up). If you belong to a gym, they?ll probably have triceps machines where you try to push down, thumbs up while seated. Another one you can do at home, is using a rope tied to the middle of a broom stick on one end and a weight on the other (could just be a plastic grocery bags with one or a couple of soup cans to start) resting on the floor. Holding the broomstick in front of you with both hands shoulder width apart, rope in the middle, wind the rope around the broomstick to pull the weight off the floor to the broomstick, and unwind it back down. It also seems to help strengthen the wrists for more powerful stops and greater distance. Go very, very light at first, even if you have to start with the pink dumbbells at the gym, or a broomstick with no weight attached, and work your way up slowly as you build up strength. A healthy burn = --- weakness ++ strength
    sharp pains = stop + ice.

Hope this helps and you recover quickly.

peregrines

Those tennis elbow straps that compress near the painful point of the elbow do seem to work.[somewhat]

The theory being that the muscle/tendon is compressed "in front of" the injured tendon insertion point...so that less tension is put on that point....helps the pain and also lessens the repeated injury to the bad spot.

I h ave that issue as we speak (or write). I use a band around my upper forearm made for tennis elbow. If I use it there is almost no discomfort. When I don't, I know it. The trick is to use it always because you pick up books, close car doors, steer the car etc. etc. Even a day in front of the computer can hinder your recovery.

When I use my strap for a month or so all symptoms are gone until the next time I do something stupid.

jed

Thanks for the tips. I wouldn't say my casting is J.C. level but the injury was not caused by casting ( only agrevated By it). I will go out and get one of those arm bands and I am figuring if the pain continues to be absent as it has for the last few days I may have to test it out next weekend. I wish I new a local Dr. who flyfishes (they are probably all on exotic trips somewhere) I would of been handy the last time I impaled myself with a hook!
    -Jeff

Can you get tennis elbow if you don't play tennis?

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Can you get tennis elbow if you don't play tennis?
    Yes. I work in construction and tennis elbow is common among people who lift or swing things having substantial weight. I got TE from swinging a 20 oz. framing hammer. I switched to a pneumatic nailer, allowed time to rest, and have been pain free for quite some time. Drywall finishers, carpenters & brick layers are among those who can get TE.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread