+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Guy with a Question

Default New Guy with a Question

Hi - Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself! I live in Romeoville, IL (about 30 miles southwest of Chicago). I'm a longtime casual spincast fisherman and I just recently got into fly fishing a couple months ago. I'm now hooked. I've only been fly fishing about a half dozen times, but I took a fly casting lesson at a local shop (One More Cast in Countryside, IL), and have been practicing in my backyard for the last few weeks. I'm already looking into building my own fly rod and I plan on buying a fly tying kit to give me something to do during the cold Chicago winter. So, you'll probably be seeing a lot more of me around here.

I've been doing a lot of research online about fly fishing, but there is one subject I couldn't find much on and would like to know more about, and that is barbless hook fishing. Is this a common practice among fly fishers? It sounds like it would be much better for the fish, but does it increase the frequency of lost fish? Any info on the subject is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: New Guy with a Question

OSdave,

I can only speak from my own experience on this subject. I only fish barbless hooks or hooks with the barb smashed down. Releasing a fish is much easier for both you and the fish. Hooking a fish is actually easier because the large barb doesn't have to penetrate the jaw. As long as you keep tension on the line the fish will usually stay on. I say usually as there is an exception to every rule. I have never lost a fish due to fishing witih a barbless hook, just my own shortfalls.

By the way, welcome to FAOL. If your thinking about taking up fly tying there is a great series by our late friend Al Campbell that covers everything about fly tying here on FAOL. It's a well thought out series that builds your tying skills as the lessons progress. The same can be said for rod building. AC did a great job there too.

Don't forget about the chatroom in the evenings. Lots of friendly folks ready and willing to talk (type) fly fishing witih you and help clear up those questions.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Welcome OSdave, good to have you here.

I use a barbless hook ALL the time now, even on my spinning rod (like I ever use that thing anymore). I mash the barb down as one of the steps in my tying process. That way I don't have to worry about it getting permanently stuck in me or the fish. I also mash the barbs down on my kids' hooks, too. MUCH safer.

I can say the absence of the barb will actually encourage you to pay closer attention to how you bring a fish to hand. It adds to the experience more than an occasional loss of a fish without a barb will detract from it. Just keep his head up and go easy on the slack.

I hope you get as much from FAOL as I have, and more.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Welcome to the forum.

As to barbless? I think it benefits the fish and you. Stick a hook in you without pinching the barb, and you'll understand.

LOL Gramps!! That's one way of looking at it! I mash mine down to make it easier to remove from ME!!! Plus it's easier on the fish.

Welcome to the Board!! You're going to like it here!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I loose more fish when I get them in my hand than I ever do with a barbless or smashed down barb on the hook.
    I mash the barbs when I get hooks so they are ready to tie with.

Rick

OSDAVE ,
    From one newbie flyfishmen to another welcome! I started in mid June myself . I also started tying my own flies and have now taken up saltwater fly fishing.
    If you get a chance stop in the Fly Swap section and check it out . The swaps are a real fun way to practice the same pattern and then swap them for some really neat flies made by other members.

Oh and on the mashing the barb.........I'm currently fishing with 1/0 and 2/0 clousers and with the barb mash they seem to pull out of my skin much easier

Hey there OSDave,
    I'm from a little bit North of you in Lake In The Hills. I too welcome you to this forum and site. You'll find you'll be equally "hooked" to it as you are now to fly fishing. Barbless hooks are THE way to go. No question there are more "long distance releases" using them but the advantages of fish survivability and personal safety far outweigh the lost fish . The best way to remove any single hook from a fish is with a hemostat or similar function tool without handling the fish itself. With barbless, it's a simple reversal of the penetrating direction.If you choose the barbed hooks and remove them by hand, you put undue pressure ( squeezing) on the fish itself possibly injuring vital internal organs and assuring it's demise. I have fished with both types of hooks and have now decided to fish barbless ONLY. It's not a tree hugging issue for me. It's just makes more sense.
    Good luck to you in your fly fishing pursuit.

Mark

OS...
    Welcome aboard. There's a lot to learn about fly fishing and this is a good place to do it! Regarding barbless hooks, I prefer them. They are easier to remove and don't harm the fish as much. The only thing I have found is that it is more important to keep a tight line when using them so the fish don't throw them out. Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner
    LOL Gramps!! That's one way of looking at it! I mash mine down to make it easier to remove from ME!!! Plus it's easier on the fish.

Welcome to the Board!! You're going to like it here!
    I speak from experience Betty. I always pinch the barb, but one time when I just got to the stream I was putting everything together including a new nymph. I usually pinch the barb as the last process. I pulled up the line to do the line and didn't see where the #16 fly was. Well, it found me and buried in my finger. I wanted to go fishing and there was no way I was going anywhere to get it removed.

I grabbed the hemostat and started pulling. I pulled and pulled and pulled. I couldn't believe that little barb could hold on so good. Finally I gave it a good pull and it came out with some of my finger. That hurt!. i now pinch all the barbs before putting them in my fly box.

On a good note. I caught a bunch of fish that day.

+ Reply to Thread