+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to fish in Oklahoma?

Default Where to fish in Oklahoma?

I'm in the Army and just entered active duty and sent to Ft. Sill, OK right next to Lawton for 2 months and was wondering if there is anywhere to fly fish near there, preferably within a 2 hr drive. I'd prefer trout fishing and being able to wade is a must, as I was unable to bring a boat with me. However, any other fish will suffice.

Also, I can go to Texas also if there is anywhere down there.

Default Re: Where to fish in Oklahoma?

Jared,

I'll send you a PM. I live in the area, and was out at the Wichita Mountain Refuge till about an hour ago (wind was terrible). Lots of perch and bass, if you're interested in trout someone else will have to help.

The closest trout is probably going to be the Blue River which is NNW of Sherman/Denison, TX near Tishomingo, OK. I'm not sure if it fits into your 2 hour window, but they stock trout starting in November. It's all put-and-take fishing for most of the river, but they are creating a walk in area at the upper stretch that will be C&R only til sometime in the spring when it will become catch-and-keep. The trout can't survive the summers due to water temps. Here's a link for more info http://blueriverok.com/. I haven't fished there yet, but am planning a trip in November. Our FF Club had a good presentation by the ranger for the park and it looks really interesting. Trout in Texas (other than the community lakes that are stocked in winter) requires a trip down near Austin; definitely beyond the 2 hour window. I hope this helps.

TxEngr

Thanks for the help. Blue River is a litte ways away. But Wichita Mountains seems great. But coming from the Smokey Mountains, I've never bass fished before. But I've got nothing to do on the weekends, so I guess I could learn.

Also, what about Broken Bow in SE OK? Looking at it online and looks nice. I might try to head down there on Veteran's Day weekend if it's worth it.

Jared,

Thanks for your service.

Am not familiar with the area, so hope locals can chime in here. I?m sure jcasebee will do his best to help you out.

But there?s some striped bass and wiper fishing in Texoma (may be a boat thing but worth checking out if there?s shore access on flats below the dam with someone down there) and a few other places have em, and of course panfish and bass.

For trout, there are some areas which may have season closures at some point, but
    The Lower Mountain Fork River in S Oklahoma east of you near Rte 70 Broken Bow close to the Ark. border, and Lower Illinois River, near 10 Killer Dam and Gore in NE OK are open year round, but it looks like the haul to either might be more than 2 hrs.

This site should give you some good info http://fishingoklahoma.com/FishingReport.htm . It lists some additional trout waters, as well as warm water spots, fishing reports etc..

And if you can string a couple of days together, it may be worth a trip to AR around Mountain Home to fish big fish water like the White, Lake Taneycomo etc. Here?s a local forum for more info on AR and MO waters http://p222.ezboard.com/bflyfishingarkansasandmissouri

Good luck and stay safe Jared. All the best.

peregrines

Jared:
    For trout fishing in Oklahoma you will need to go to either the Lower Illinois by Gore which is about 220 miles and 3hrs 15 mins from you or the Lower Mountain Fork by Broken Bow which is about 266 miles and almost 5 hrs from you. State record brown came from the Lower Mountain Fork. Both are good fisheries. I was raised in Lawton and there is some good warmwater fishing nearby. Many of the small lakes in the refuge are great for gills and bass which, by the way, are an absolute blast on a flyrod. Wish I were closer so I could show you around but we are now in Oklahoma City.
    Both the LI and LMF are year round fisheries. When stocking time comes (November in most places) they will stock the Blue River, which was mentioned above, The Tailwaters of Altus Lake(a little over an hour West of Ft Sill, and last year they stocked a small section of medicine creek at Medicine Park just North of Ft Sill. Good Luck.
    Larry

Jared,

Try this link for Bass lures: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20204

When I see a lure name I don't recognize, I just google it and can usually find tips on how to fish it!

Good luck,

I fish the Lower Mountain Fork quite a bit and it would be a good choice. On stocking weekends it can be pretty busy, but I've been having luck on other weekends as well. The Veteran's Day holiday is a non stocking weekend. The area below the park dam was pretty blown out this summer due to the high discharge of water and fishing not been as good down there. A lot of the fish ended up somewhere downsteam and may not have survived the rest of the summer. They are beginning to restock that area, so it should improve. The other red zone area (C&R type fishing) is at Lost Creek and Evening Hole and that can be good at times. The Spillway Creek area is good and will be really pretty this time of year. It's worth the trip just for the scenery. There are two fly shops in the area and either one can help you with locations and flies. You might check the Beavers Bend Fly Shop Message Board for Sid's weekly report before going just to see what's happening.

TxEngr

Actually the closest place to fish for trout is about 55-60 miles north and west of your present location. Aside from the Lower Mountain Fork and the Illinois River, which are year-round trout streams, there are about 4-6 more streams or lakes where trout are stocked during the winter months. These other areas are stocked from November through March. The nearest location to you is at Quartz Mountain State Park, a few miles north of Altus. Trout are stocked in the Altus-Lugert Reservoir tailwater. It is certainly not the prettiest trout stream I have seen, but at least there are trout there during the winter. I am not sure if the Cache Creek Fly Shop is still open there in Lawton, but at least their website is still up. They are located at 1004 C Avenue there in Lawton. The owner would certainly have some good ideas for you on fishing in the area. I hope this is helpful. I would hate for you to miss out on fishing while in my state.

Larry Compton

Jared,

I live in Altus, and they do stock trout over here starting Nov 1. It is not the prettiest, but at the first of the season last year there were some nice fish caught (18 to 22 inches), most after that were small, but that's OK. I also fish alot in the Wildlife Refuge and at Mountain Prk. According to their website they are going to stock again this year in Dec.

I agree with jcase, and others, you need to try the B/Gs and Bass, and Crappie, and Wipers...etc. They are a ton of fun on my 3wt.... I am prolly going to either Mtn Prk or the Refuge this Sat. maybe jcase and all could meet up....let me know. Mtn park has been great lately.

Look forward to meeting you and thanks for your service.
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

+ Reply to Thread