Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
PAangler:

IF you decide that you really like that Madison and it is, (as most were) a one tip rod; don't hesitate for a micro second to send it to Orvis in the winter and have a second tip built. I did that with a one tip Flea I have and it was a great decision. Orvis' prices and service for bamboos built by them is excellent. They even give you a discount just because it's an Orvis rod. At the time I had the work done; most other builders were getting close to 50% of the rod's new cost for a new tip. Orvis was getting like 10%.

A phone call will get you an estimate and if you go that route; you will have a nice two tip rod to get to know instead of having the anxiety of breaking the one and only tip. They also will give the rod a look-see and replace anything that looks worn.

Just to give you an idea of cost; last year I sent my NOW two tip Flea for new ferrules. I got one female, two male ferrules, and two tip tops replaced for $97! Oh yea; the shipping was like $6; amazing!

Have fun!

Thanks for the advise Bamboozle. I actually had the model incorrect, it is a Pacesetter and already has 2 tips. I fished with the rod this weekend and liked it. It took a while getting used to fishing it a lot slower than my graphite rods. It lays down dry flys great but I struggle a bit with wieghted pupa and nymphs. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the rod.