Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
Great looking fish, Skip. I love catching those guys in the Spring right after ice-off, them cookin up a mess of em. Don't target them much in the summer as the flesh tends to get a bit "muddy" tasting as the water warms up.

My best crappie on a fly rod is 15" on my 1wt while fishing for gills. Caught it on a Zug Bug, then caught a 15" LMB with it as well. That was one of my better days fishing boat docks. Three species on three casts on the same fly standing on the same dock. Some days it all just comes together, then there are the rest of the days!

Joe
Well we don't have the ice thing here at all and the crappie in the winter are very deep and I really don't do much fishing in the winter, but about Feb with a little luck the LMB and Crappie will move shallow and I intend on troll motoring down the back flipping my fly from one side to the other covering lots of water that way. I tried that out yesterday with my super duper $20 Walmart rig and it was a great way to fish for next spring.

Yes sometimes they are just there and ready to hit. Sometime here if I want to just have some fun there is a couple of spots I know during the late spring and summer where they hold and I can go out for 1-1 1/2 hours and catch 15 or more bass. Now that I am starting to fly fish I am even more interested in doing that with the fly rod.

You must have had some kind of good battle using that 1 wt. rod and my pan is to get probably a 6 wt. first for all around fishing and then later add maybe a 3 wt. With the wind here and sometimes needing to make longer cast the 6 wt. is what I am leaning to.

I guess I spent way too much on all my casting and spinning gear to expect the wife to be happy and let me get very many fly rods, but at least I can probably use the same reel on both rods.

At almost 60 fly fishing has given me something new and exciting to do.

Skip