The previous thread on "Casting II " started me thinking on the very first problem I often observe with brand new casters receiving their first instruction.

The senerio goes like this - The instructor takes the rod and lays out a bit of line on the water or grass to get started and hands theh student the rod with the tip pointed down, telling him that is the position at which to start the cast. At that point the instructor may say a few more words of instruction during which time the student unconsciously raises the rod tip to 45 degrees or more thereby introducing several feet of slack line between the rod tip and the line laying on the water/grass - the cast is already doomed to failure.
Now the student lowers the tip to ground level and starts his first cast - trouble has started. Now the rod doesn't start to move the line until it is past the 45 degree or whatever point the student had inadvertently raised the rod tip- have take out that slack first! Now to get the line moving and into the backcast the beginner swings the rod almost to the horizontal position on the rear stroke. Result - complete loss of control, wide open loops, and no distance. All because he raised the rod tip between being handed the rod and starting his cast.
I have seen this happen time and time again, some times several times in a row with the same student.