+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So...bass flies for the bass that eat plastic worms...

Default So...bass flies for the bass that eat plastic worms...

Topic says it all. I've been plying the lakes by some of my families' property, and I've thrown everything in my arsenal at these bass. Only pick up the occasional straggler. Meanwhile, my brother and brother-in-law are standing literally right down the bank from me and catching one after the other on purple and black plastic worms, rigged carolina? style (sliding bullet head weight on the line above the hook). I've tried clousers, marabou flies of all sorts and colors, rabbit leeches, a few concoctions of my own, fished at varying depths, and for some reason just can't get these bass to bite.

About 2 hours ago I caught a 6 lb'er on a plastic worm (sue me) out of one of these lakes, and I HAVE to figure out how to do it on the fly. People have caught 10 and 11 lb'ers out of this lake as well.

The strange thing is, all of the bass flies I tie, I catch 6-10lb channel cats on out of these same lakes. Go figure?

Also worth noting is that spinnerbaits, topwaters, jigs, and crankbaits have all been used without success on these bass.

There is just something about that damned plastic worm that I can't reproduce. Anyone got any advice?

-edit- Just the other day I lost a channel cat that was easily pushing 15 lbs to a log (damn my 4 wt rod). I hooked it on a marabou clouser-ish thing I tie, I think it was a #1/0.

Blog Entries

Default Re: So...bass flies for the bass that eat plastic worms...

There was a thread on this previously,,,A bunch of pages back you should find it.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

ok I'll check out search. If anyone has anything to add, I'd appreciate it.

-edit-

search turned up http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...03105fotw.html

i believe im set...

Blog Entries

I found it,,,BUT! The posts within it seem to have disappeared!
    I could not view the topic!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright

Well that just sucks. I think I figured out what I'm doing wrong though. I'm thinking too much like a tackle fisher, fishing too fast and with too much weight. Thats the ticket!

To the tying bench!

You might want to try tying up a few Hard hackle worms. They work here in TN for bass. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Blog Entries

The one fly I found that could take the place of a plastic bass worm:The Gully Worm!
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choi ... at_id=6522
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by louisianajeff
    You might want to try tying up a few Hard hackle worms. They work here in TN for bass. John
    hard-hackle worm is the link i threw up there on my last edit, heh. got a few tied up already. Its fall break at my college, so tomorrow I'm gonna be out on the lake with em. I have confidence in them.
    of course, I have confidence in every fly I tie, otherwise they'd just sit in a drawer and never get fished. We'll see.

flyandtie, do you think that one is just woven woolly chenille or something similar? looks like it would twist up really easily when cast (my biggest problem with my worm imitations - some of which look just like that)

-edit- accidentally quoted myself >_>

Blog Entries

hard-hackle worm is the link i threw up there on my last edit, heh. got a few tied up already. Its fall break at my college, so tomorrow I'm gonna be out on the lake with em. I have confidence in them.
    of course, I have confidence in every fly I tie, otherwise they'd just sit in a drawer and never get fished. We'll see.

flyandtie, do you think that one is just woven woolly chenille or something similar? looks like it would twist up really easily when cast (my biggest problem with my worm imitations - some of which look just like that)

-edit- accidentally quoted myself >_>
    You could click on the recipe part of that page right under the fly and I bet it would tell you as I'm not sure.
    Chris

Tie up some serpent flies,an old Dave Whitlock pattern.Use 4 long,slinky saddle hackles for the tail, a chenille body with a palmered hackle,and large bead chain eyes.Yellow or purple work best for me.

+ Reply to Thread