+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So...bass flies for the bass that eat plastic worms...

Blog Entries

Default Re: So...bass flies for the bass that eat plastic worms...

ok im gonna try and post the pic now

the one on the bottom is the lure that i got the lead head idea from. the flies dont have any of the lead heads on them because you attach it to the line just infront of them. it still works the same though

Getting the effectiveness of soft plastics into flies is an ongoing quest for me which you can see by following this link. I have been working with Bohemian Chenille. Since the chenille is all synthetic, it maintains a bulky look without becoming soggy like bunny strips.

I consider these prototypes that have seen limited action so far.

http://flyanglersonline.com/bb/viewt...hilit=#p179345

As noted the the topmost 5" worm with med lead eyes has been the best. As I proceded down this path, I realized that the trick is to get flies that behave like soft plastics whether they look like their counterpart or not. Who would have thought that Bob Clouser's efforts capture the action of the Rapalla would wind up looking like the Deep Minnow.

There's my 2 cents. Thanks to all for chiming in on this challenging question.

Bear
    Bear742

There is a fly called the Calcasieu Pigboat - http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/fl...FOTM052002.htm

There is also one on FAOL, but I like this version better. Instead of using chenille and hackle for the body, I tied a Rabbit zonker (4 to 6 inches) to the shaft by the bend. I then wrapped zonker around the shaft to give it a "head". Leave room at the eye to tie in the rubber strands and add a dumbbell weight if you want. I made them weedless with a double strand of fluoro. On one I made in natural colors, I glued a small piece of chartreuse zonker to imitate a pumpkinseed worm with a chartreuse tip - one of my favs.

I'm going on a bass trip this spring where we will be able to try out the new Sage Bass rods so I have made these up to test with these rods.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

You've probably read at least some of Rick's Panfish articles - but just in case you haven't: Rick is absolutely one of the most persistent fly fishers I've ever known. He has more than one rod loaded with possible flies for that particular day's adventure.
    If one doesn't work, he changes. Ah, but that isn't all. He changes HOW he fishes those flies as well. How deep, how fast they sink - or are retrieved, how long he waits between striping the fly in....
    In other words, you just haven't tried enough different things to make a fly work.
    How fast does a plastic worm sink? How does it look in the water on being retrieved?

Think like a fish - in this case you want to match the hatch, right? Except the 'hatch' is a plastic worm.

Last but not least - have fun with the problem!

Hugs, LF

I haven't read all of the post on this subject, I changed jobs and now spend a couple of hours each day with 100,000 of my friends and neighbors coming and going to the office. But has anyone mentioned "Green Weenies." I have had good success with them in lengths around 2" and believe 4" worms should be doable, maybe longer. I don't had any photos but on a scale of 1 - 5 it's about a 0.50 in difficulty. Tie off medium chenille at the bend of the hook, I use a paper clip and twist the chenille, tie off the twisted chenille where you started and cover the hook shaft. Lead wire, beadheads, weed guards, etc, are easy. I have used the traditional chartause and hot pink in the grub lengths.

If this is a repeat info, I apologize for being born good looking instead of rich.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Someone made reference to a Scott Sanchez fly; his Sluggo should work well:

"The hide strip is coated with a thin layer of marine caulking and sprinkled with extra-fine pearlescent glitter before it dries. The caulking helps prevent the hook from pulling back through the hide"

SMClark, Simple & Great Idea!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread