+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a little help with dubbing needs

Default Looking for a little help with dubbing needs

I am new to using dubbing pretty much and have a few kinds and want to get a little more than I would use . In other words if you had only what I have what would be your next few purchases in dubbing?

All I have is one of the little cubes with 30 colors of SLF Master Class Dubbing, one little case of Rabbit Natural All Purpose Dubbing and a little container of Crawdub. Other than these I have a lot of duck down ans some is still on the feathers and I need to take it off, but I have a baggie full of just it.

So what should be next?

Thanks in advance,

Skip

Deezel Guest

Default Re: Looking for a little help with dubbing needs

Skip,

Well, you could get a lifetimes supply of dubbing if you buy one rabbit skin of each of these colors: White, Blue, Red, and Yellow. Then you could cut the fur and blend in combinations to match any insect. You may have to search for the correct percentages of each color OR look on the labels of dubbings sold by Al Caucci, OR look into his book, 'Fly Tyers Color Chart. Once you get the hang of it, it's a snap.

Deezel

Skip48,

Have you thought about mixing your own? I mainly mix my own using a coffee grinder. If a particular pattern suggest a dubbing brand I'll look for it at my local fly shop, but most times I end up mixing my own which may not be exactly as the pattern describes.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Two words..... road kill
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Skip,

It's really going to depend. I think you need to make some decisions on what you want to try and tie and let that decision guide you through your choices of dubbing.

First decide on dry?s or wets 'cause you'll use different dubbing for both. If I'm going to dub dry fly bodies I tend to use fine & dry or micro fine types. Things like muskrat and beaver under fur (without the guard hairs) makes nice bodies as well. Some basic colors to have would be various shades of Olive, Sulphur, gray or Dark Dun, black and Hendrickson Pink. You can decide on shades based on the hatches that occur in your area but don't get too concerned about having to be too specific. When in doubt, ask at your local fly shop or ask some tiers in your area if they have any recommendations on colors.

For wets and nymphs that need dubbing (you can tie a bunch that don't - such as princes, pheasant tails, copper johns, etc) stick with things that have a rabbit, squirrel, 'possum, muskrat, beaver or other fur based dubbing that includes the under fur and guard hairs that will give that spiky buggy look. I'd start with a basic hare's mask for Gold Ribbed Hares Ears, other colors from the aforementioned list of animal based dubbings would include colors like, caddis cream, olive shades (light, med and dark), fox squirrel, ginger, bright green (a deadly caddis larvae and pupae color).

You can narrow or broaden this list as much as your interest and wallet will allow. Typically, dubbing's not that expensive. Even the premium stuff is rarely over $3 a pack and a lot of stuff can be had at under a buck and a half. Think more about what you want to tie and then make some decisions. Remember you don't have to get it all a one time. A few pack here and there and before you know it you'll have a bunch.

Once you have a reasonable depth of color range and type then you can start blending those with a coffee grinder or just a small jar and water to get specific blended colors you think you'll need.
    Joe Bertolini

Quote Originally Posted by dudley
    Two words..... road kill
    dudley "The Helpful." At least you could have warned him NOT to pick up a dead skunk! (In the middle of the Road)
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

For dry flies, try beaver dubbing. It's great.

For flashy/steelhead/panfish/gaudy/heavy flies, try Ice Dub. Great stuff. It draws the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Two words..... road kill
    dudley "The Helpful." At least you could have warned him NOT to pick up a dead skunk! (In the middle of the Road)
    Doug
    Yes and your wife might not like you to stop in the rain on the way to a formal dance to pick up a dead mallard--BILL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald
    Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Two words..... road kill
    Doug
    Yes and your wife might not like you to stop in the rain on the way to a formal dance to pick up a dead mallard--BILL
    Bill,
    Is that First Hand experience????
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Thanks some good info here and I do need to think it out a little, but I don't want to be tied to any one type either. Like wet or dry, I want to tie both.

Thanks for all the good info,

Skip

+ Reply to Thread