+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera Suggestions

Default Digital Camera Suggestions

I am thinking of asking Santa for a digital camera. One that I can carry in my vest to take pics of all those monster fish I catch.

The other day, I looked at an Olympus 725 S&W, but the price is a bit more than what I think Santa has to spend.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Default Re: Digital Camera Suggestions

I bought a Pentax Optio W10 over a year ago and I'm extremely happy with it. It takes great pics and has a reasonable zoom for a small point and shoot camera. I like it because it fits in my shirt pocket and it's waterproof, you can take pictures underwater with it.
    When fishing with it, I switch the small hand strap on it to a lanyard that goes around my neck just in case it slips out of my hand.
    I know that Pentax came out with the W20 soon after I bought my camera, they may even be up to a W30 or 40 by now, I don't keep up with it.
    Bob

I have the WP20 and I am very satisfied with the job it does for me. I am not a professional at taking pictures so it does not have to be the greatest of cameras. It takes very good close ups and does great on the river for what I use it for. Like was mentioned, it can be used for underwater pictures if you so choose. I do not intend to test that feature. I wanted the waterproof feature for those days it is very hot and my pocket will get wet from sweat plus those days it rains while I am out. It is nice to know that the camera will not be ruined by water like the 2 cell phones I have baptized over the years! I think you would like these cameras and the price is pretty good on them.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I don't have one but I would go along with what they said. It's compact, waterproof and takes great snapshots. It also has a pretty decent macro setting. If you or it falls in you don't have to worry. Mine is not waterproof and it's really too big, but it takes nice photos. I think I will end up getting a WP at some point.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

WATERPROOF!!!! as my father can attest to waterproof is worth it. he has lost 3 cameras so far to the wet. didnt lose them in the water just dunked.
    here fishy fishy!!!

Blog Entries

i prefer Sony Digitals.

They are easy to use and have NO lense cap.

You put them on P and they do the rest for you. I always carry mine in a zip lock bag.

The reason i don't like lense caps are they get dirty and slippery and are hard to get off and on quickly.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

7. Default Re: Digital Camera Suggestions

I've been researching cameras, too. My old fuji finepix wasn't that great to start with, and it hasn't been the same since I dropped it in the St. Joe. I took the batteries out immediately. It worked after it dried out, but the images are sometimes distorted.

Anyway, this Canon A540 seems to be a good deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6830120041 If you are willing to spend more money, my dad swears by his Pentax waterproof camera. I think those run $300-400.

Blog Entries

I have been using an Olympus Stylus 800 all-weather camera, water resistant and it have performed very well for me. It even took a dunk under the water in river in Ontario and still works great.

I see the new Olympus 790 SW (shock -waterproof) camera has a price that isn't too bad.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... oduct=1314

Which ever camera you pick, have fun with it. A picture is truly worth a thousand words. Make sure you take it with you and have it ready for instant use. If it is tucked away inside your gear bag you will miss a lot of great pictures.

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

i have the canon as710 and love it. it is not weather proof though so be careful
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

Took this picture while fishing Taneycomo last year with my Pentax Optio WPi.

+ Reply to Thread