+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What?s under your waders? ahem?

Default Re: What?s under your waders? ahem?

I really like these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

Can wear them like regular pants (changing at the river not necessary) and I have been very comfortable in temps well below freezing. Check out the tan color if you don't want camo.

I picked mine up from their Bargain Cave......

2. Default Re: What?s under your waders? ahem?

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I was really at a loss as to how to approach this. A colleague and I are getting guided on a one day trip on October 14th. Unfortunately, the rest of the time is booked with business. It appears that on the 14th a cold front with some rain is moving in so the temps are forecast lower than usual. The guide has suggested we decide on the location later this week. On his short list (provided a month or so ago) was South Boulder Creek, Farmers Union on the Platte, or the Bartles Lakes fly fishing club.

From the posted comments, it sounds like I should pickup a thin merino wool long underwear pant and a fleece pant as well. This way I could make a call as to what I should wear that morning when I know where I?m going and what the more precise temps are going to be. If I wear long underwear I?ll wear my nylon pants. If I wear the fleece I assume most would just wear these as pants to and from the stream? Those Cabela?s waderwise pants look nice!

A bit of web searching indicates the stream water temps are going to be in the 50?s. So my plan is if the high ambient temps are in the 30?s-40's I?ll wear the fleece pant plus the thin merino base layer. If the high temps are in the 40?s-50's I?ll wear my heavier Patagonia capilene (3 weight) base layer with nylon pants. And if the high temps are in the 50?s to 60?s I?ll just wear the merino base layer and the nylon pant. Do you think I?m on track?

Brain,

IMO you are making this too complicated.

You are going on a one dayer and it seems to me you already are covered [pardon the pun].

I have capilene the heavy one and also fleece ..they seem interchangeable to me....and it doesn't sound to me like you are at risk of being too hot...even if you wear the capilene

If you don't have a thin layer of some sort...I like thermax material...and specifically in answer to your question about wearing pants....I've been known to wear pants over thermax long johns....and this summer tubing I have just worn my street pants under waders.

Oversized army pants and sweatpants depending on water temp.

50 and above just army pants. 40 to 30 sweatpants. Below 40 both.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by dudley
    I save my fleece pants for fishing in the dead of winter.
    Even then I sweat my arse off.
    I agree with dudley! Fleece may be a little premature.
    Long Underwear and regular pants. Rain Gear also. The gloves might not be needed, maybe go to fingerless gloves when it gets VERY cold. If you wear the gloves, be sure to pinch down your barbs!!!!
    Have Fun!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I wonder about the nylon pants. You have some $ invested in G3 waders and capilene, so everything will be breathable. If you put a nylon layer in the middle you can't get the transfer from skin to outside the waders. Now, that may not matter, since you will pull the sweat off your skin and hold it in the last layer before the nylon and therefore not feel wet, but the waders won't breathe if you put a moisture barrier in there like nylon. Unless this is some really openly woven nylon. Maybe I'm just picturing the wrong thing, but all the nylon pants I can think of are the windproof non-breathable kind. If that's what you are talking about, I would leave them out entirely.

Blog Entries

tar heel is right. skip the nylon part, or take them off before you put on your waders. they are only good for wet wading or saltwater-from-a-boat fishing. your sweat can condense on them and then you are cold. wear the woolie longs and the fleece, and you'll breathe just fine. if you get warm, take off the sweater...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

For "regular pants" to wear over long johns, or during warm weather by themselves, I like hospital scrubs. You probably wouldn't want to wear them into the Cowboy Bar after fishing, but the combination is sufficiant for pretty cold water (45-50) and they don't add much bulk.

ED

9. Default Re: What?s under your waders? ahem?

PastorEd, I work in a hospital and have scrubs! I'll have to give that a try.

Good point regarding the nylon pants. Though, they are what I backpack in and they seem fairly breathable. They are REI sahara zip off pants.

It sounds like you might be set for those temps already.
    For very cold weather, I use micro fiber long johns (i'll be trying Under Armour cold gear this year), Polartech Power Stretch bibs and then fleece sweats over that. That's the set-up I use when air temps are in the 20'-30's and the water temps are just above freezing.
    For more moderate temps, I use the Cabela's wading pants (velcro ankle wraps are nice) and a 200 wt. fleece sweat shirt, with micro fiber underwear.
    Make sure you've got a good hat and that your neck is covered. That's where you lose most of your heat. I use fleece for those too. I really like the fleece glomitt's too. Even if they get wet, they still keep your hands warm.

+ Reply to Thread