+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever?

Default Have You Ever?

Have you ever forgotten what size hooks you needed when you were at the shop so you ended up 'overstocking' (like THAT's possible) on one size?

I need size 10 and 14, but I have 6 boxes of size 12. (evenly divided wet and dry)

Man, I need to carry a list or something.
    Don Rolfson

Default Re: Have You Ever?

Don,

I have been there and done that way too many times! Now I keep a little notebook at my fly tying area and as I see that I am getting low on a hook or any material, I write down the description and size in the notebook. When I know I am going to a fly shop or am placing an order over the internet, I grab that notebook and only order/purchase what is listed as needing replenished. After that, I can look at other items they may have that I really do not need, but, think I have to have!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Don,

Look at it this way.

You are keeping the fly shop open.

You can donate the spare hooks to a club or organization as part of their fund raiser and make someone else happy.

Can you ever really have too much of any one item?

Happy tying.

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Don,
    Post It Notes, Post It Notes, Post It Notes!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Don,

Happens all the time to me.

And I do take 'notes', I just forget the dang things when I get near the shop....

Luckily, you can never have too many fly tying hooks.

Besides, forgeting to the the correct size means you have a reason for the next trip.....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Don,
    Post It Notes, Post It Notes, Post It Notes!!!
    Doug
    Then you forget and leave the post-it note stuck to the desk.

Done it many times.

Blog Entries

I carry a cheap bound notebook (bought at walmart) in my rear left pocket. I keep lists and phone numbers etc scribbled in it, works great untill I wash the stupid thing then I have to go through and peel each page apart and write the important stuff in the next one.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I carry a Blackberry, and jot notes in it when needed. Since it's always with me, I have my shopping list at all times. I believe most cell phones now have the capability of jotting a note to yourself. Read your manual if unsure.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I find that my inspiration comes in church. That is why you see me with a PDA. If I think if fly fishing or tying, I go grab the PDA and jot down what I need (mostly the WANTS come to mind)!

I just thought if an organization that accepts charitable donations.... SKershaw fly tying fund. It furthers the mission of keeping Scott out of his wife's hair!

Idea that we talked about on Saturday... let's do a material swap and the first stop for the box can be at my house

Remind me to put a Dremel on the PDA list!

Oh yeah, the list never works... it gets TOO long for me. If I get everything she would make me come home with a dog-house to sleep in for a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD
    I carry a cheap bound notebook (bought at walmart) in my rear left pocket. I keep lists and phone numbers etc scribbled in it, works great untill I wash the stupid thing then I have to go through and peel each page apart and write the important stuff in the next one.

Eric
    Eric;

I resemble that remark right there! If I kept it in a pocket, it'd get washed. If I keep it on the desk, I would never have it at the store. (My local shop is Cabelas, so I don't always plan a trip. It is 5 minutes from work. BAD placement!)
    Don Rolfson

+ Reply to Thread