+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving to Connecticut

1. Default moving to Connecticut

any of you fish the CT coast? i'm gonna be living in West Hartford very soon and hopefully will arrive in time for some action. if anyone needs a reason to fish -- well, you're pathetic if you need a reason! but anyways... give me a hollar as i'll need some help getting up to speed on the East Coast thing.

Default Re: moving to Connecticut

Hey there. Welcome to New England. A number of us fish the Ct. shores. I don't do it often, but the Thames River which is about an hour from Hartford has winter holdovers every year. You can fish it best with a boat, including a kayak or canoe in the town of Norwich. If you are boatless shore fishing is possible, but not great. Right now the fall migration of Stripers is underway so hurry on up and head on out to the shore.

jed

Welcome to the neighborhood!
    When you get to town please stop by, and perhaps join, one of the finest fly fishing clubs in the country
    The Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association. http://www.ctflyfish.org/
    Meetings are in East Hartford on the second Wednesday of the month, the annual expo and banquet is in February. This year's special guest is Bob Clouser
    We have lots of members that have saltwater running through their veins as well as plenty of trout nuts.
    There's a saltwater fly tying class that begins in January and a saltwater fly fishing school in March, if you're interested.
    Coastal fly fishing author Ed Mitchell lives in the Hartford area. His books and articles are a great resource for the NE salt
    http://www.flyroddingthecoast.com/
    I fish the coast from the Connecticut River east, as well as a good chunk of Rhode Island. Plus the mecca of NE salt water, Cape Cod is only a few hours away
    This afternoon, I'll be fishing Narragansett Bay RI from the kayak , only about 45 minutes from my house
    The big choppers are in
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Perfectloop,

Welcome to the NE.

Here?s a 2nd for Dudley?s recommendation, check out the CT Fly Fishing Association. In addition to the fellowship, you?ll get a lot of help with the learning curve. (casting, tying, locations, new friends etc.) A similar group was a huge help to me when I started SW FF. Another place to check out on the web is www.stripermoon.com, Kenny Abrams site. He has Tuesday outings open to all comers up in RI that might be worth a trip, and there?s lot?s of helpful info. including detailed instructions for tying flatwings.

A 9 or 10 wt. outfit, floating WF line and some 1/0 and 2/0 deceivers, 1/0 clousers for bass and blues (with some knottable nylon covered wire bite tippet material for blues) and some smaller size 2 (not 2/0) tan over white epoxy surf candies for bonito and albacore should be all you need for fall.

In addition to salt (which should be red hot now through Nov), there?s trout fishing on the Farmington and Housatonic.

Once you get your double haul down, watch out for me, don?t hook my hat. I?ll be on the other side of the sound (North Shore LI).

Best of luck, and welcome to the salt.

peregrines

Quote Originally Posted by peregrines
    ...... salt (which should be red hot now through Nov)...............

"You shoulda been here NEXT week."

Ya shoulda been there yesterday
    This afternoon, I'll be fishing Narragansett Bay RI from the kayak , only about 45 minutes from my house
    The big choppers are in
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Welcome to the state. You're just in time for the fall run to heat up.

The state maintains a web database of shore access points that's very helpful in scouting locations, especially if you combine this with some of the satellite imagery from google earth or similar sites.

http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/

Enjoy!

Dudley,

sounds like you had a great day. Spill your guts?. what fly, how many, how big details dude, details.

peregrines

what part of west hartford. I grew up there and used to fly fish the Farmington river all the time. It's about an hour drive to the shore where I used to cast sand worms with my Grandpa...

9. Default Re: moving to Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by A.Pacyna
    what part of west hartford. I grew up there and used to fly fish the Farmington river all the time. It's about an hour drive to the shore where I used to cast sand worms with my Grandpa...
    i'll be right on the Eastern edge of West Hartford about a block from Prospect on Boulevard. we drove to Mystic and i think it only took an hour maybe. when i get there i'm gonna be looking to take it easy for a couple days recovering from my drive. maybe i'll wet a line during that time. hopefully, i'll have internet so i can check this thread.

....my cousins live on the Boulevard
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread