+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Hardtop

Default Electric Hardtop

Here's a weighted fly that is one of my more successful creations. The top is a fake fingernail. "Electric" finish is two coats of fingernail polish: Black creme + clear holographic flake.
    Body is made from clear fuzzy yarn with multi-colored tinsel. (wal-mart) It looks light purple when wet.
    Tail is just a couple of black marabou clumps.
    I've caught trout, smallmouth bass, and yellow perch with it. What do you think? Got any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Electric Hardtop

that fly looks AWSOME!! were is the tinsel, i cant see it in the pic. is it just wrapped around thedubbing as ribbing?

Quote Originally Posted by DDRRedneck500
    that fly looks AWSOME!! were is the tinsel, i cant see it in the pic. is it just wrapped around thedubbing as ribbing?
    Thanks!
    The tinsel is very small and woven into the yarn. Here's a pic.

GreenFish,
    I'm proud of you for finding a 'GOOD" use for fake fingernails. You might try cutting/shaping the nails to form a Beetle pattern. Are those stick on eyes?? Would Epoxy look better on the head?? How much weight do you use??
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I tie with fake fingernails, too. Here is my offering. I call it the Bass-Kicker!

I start by tying on a marabou tail, then clip the line. Then, I just glue the nail on the hook, fill the bottom with 5-minute epoxy, then add the details.

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    GreenFish,
    I'm proud of you for finding a 'GOOD" use for fake fingernails. You might try cutting/shaping the nails to form a Beetle pattern. Are those stick on eyes?? Would Epoxy look better on the head?? How much weight do you use??
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Yep, those are stick-on eyes. They are coated with a very thick version of "hard as nails". (I forgot to screw the cap back on and it thickened overnight.) Epoxy would probably look better. For weight, I just use a very small lead wire and tie it to the shank. Not sure how much it weighs. The unweighted version also works in calm water, using a very slow "twitch-twitch-pause" retrieve. Barbell eyes can be used for heavy current.
    A beetle sounds interesting. Fake fingernails might also make a dandy scud pattern. Hmm...

Have you tried to cut the nails? (trim) Can you do it with your fly tying scissors?
    Of course I haven't researched Nail Polish, but isn't there a LOT of colors you could use??
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I use nail polish on mine. It comes in every color of the rainbow. And yes, the nails can be easily cut and/or filed to shape. I'm thinking of making a crab pattern with them.

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster
    I use nail polish on mine. It comes in every color of the rainbow. And yes, the nails can be easily cut and/or filed to shape. I'm thinking of making a crab pattern with them.

Semper Fi!
    My wife says it's just sick and wrong that I have more colors of nail polish and thread than she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster
    I tie with fake fingernails, too. Here is my offering. I call it the Bass-Kicker!

I start by tying on a marabou tail, then clip the line. Then, I just glue the nail on the hook, fill the bottom with 5-minute epoxy, then add the details.

Semper Fi!
    Oh yeah, your bass-kicker is awesome! I'm going to start playing with epoxy and see what I can come up with.

+ Reply to Thread