+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think I caught a terrible disease.

Default Think I caught a terrible disease.

I was at Walmart yesterday and broke down and bought a cheap fly rod and reel combo. I really wanted a better one, but it was all they had and at $20 what the heck.

So I took it down to my neighbor's floating dock and fished a little trying to catch a bream or something. A few cast and nothing, but then all of a sudden all heck broke lose and that little tiny fly had got a big bass to jump on it and the fight was on. First thing that happened once he took off like crazy was I thought, now what? After a few minutes of fighting him he pulled off without me ever putting and eye on him at all. Guess i should have sharpened that hook or it was just too little.

Soon after than another one hit that was smaller, but he pulled off fast and I came back with a new sickness, fly fishing and not I must get a better rig to do this as I am just like that bass, hooked!

Anyway I thought you would enjoy this little story,

Skip

Blog Entries

Default Re: Think I caught a terrible disease.

welcome to the sickness, there is no cure, the only help is occasionaly sticking your finger with a size 12 dry fly hook. (this only works in the presence of large amounts of water)

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

WELCOME TO THE SICKNESS we all reveel in this illness we call flyfishing. it is the awful erg to go wet a line at all times. unfortuately life has a way of geting in the way; work, kids softball, house stuff (winters coming), and all sorts of other stuff that will try to cure this illness. DONT LET IT. make time to fish and enjoy!! you now have both the illnesses. tying and fishing. two strikes!!! the third will come!! dont know what that will be. BTW walmart rods are ok for now but you will want to pick up a higher quality rod eventally. TFO makes a good quality rod for under $100, or find a used something here or ebay or amazon. enjoy and set hook harder next time bass are a blast on a fly rod.
    enjoy your new addiction!!!!
    roadhog
    here fishy fishy!!!

Sounds like you got into a good deal on the set up. Keep in mind it's a slippery slope made even worse by the fact you caught fish! Welcome to fly fishing. Keep us posted on how your doing and and questions that come up. Your at the right place, make yourself at home.
    Joe Bertolini

Quote Originally Posted by roadhog
    WELCOME TO THE SICKNESS we all reveel in this illness we call flyfishing. it is the awful erg to go wet a line at all times. unfortuately life has a way of geting in the way; work, kids softball, house stuff (winters coming), and all sorts of other stuff that will try to cure this illness. DONT LET IT. make time to fish and enjoy!! you now have both the illnesses. tying and fishing. two strikes!!! the third will come!! dont know what that will be. BTW walmart rods are ok for now but you will want to pick up a higher quality rod eventally. TFO makes a good quality rod for under $100, or find a used something here or ebay or amazon. enjoy and set hook harder next time bass are a blast on a fly rod.
    enjoy your new addiction!!!!
    roadhog
    I intended on buying a better one right at the get go since I have been fishing all my 59 years and one of my draw backs is actually a benefit for fishing. I am disabled, but not to where I can't fish and I live on the water with a boat hanging in my boat house. My kids are way grown so that is also not an obstacle any longer.

I had set my sights on a Cabela's Prestige Fly Combo like the one below and have not decided between the 5 or 6 Wt. however I am open to other brands that come with all the line and stuff included if someone knows a better one I can get for about the same money I would sure take a look. I like the idea that it comes with the fly line and all because I would be lost picking out the gear right now.

Or if anyone knows someone selling a good outfit that would be great too.

Skip

Skip;

If it were me, and I lived in Texas, I would probably get the 6wt. I would also follow that real quick with a 3wt. The 6wt will allow you to throw the bigger bass bugs and some fairly decent sized jigs and bobbers without problems. (Oh, excuse me. Weighted flys under an indicator. ) Then the 3wt will make the gills and crappie feel like monsters, and teh bass hive your heart a workout.

I won't reccomend a brand. You get to choose that. That's half the fun. I have the old $20 rod I bought in High School that I still use quite a bit, and also a Cabelas and a St Croix. They all work, and work well.

As for the disease, Here's hoping you never get cured!
    Don Rolfson

Blog Entries

I second the six weight, when the wind is blowing you will be able to cast a little better and also cast bigger bugs, and fight bigger fish. then when you get that down you can move down to a three or four weight then a two then a one or a zero then................it never ends/

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Thanks for the info on the 6wt. and I think that is probably smart as the wind blows a lot here. I was really fighting the wind today when I was trying it out.

Loved this...
    (Oh, excuse me. Weighted flys under an indicator. )

Skip

The disease you caught is incurable and is very expensive to treat.

welcome to the maddness all i can say is that the only therapy will be to come on this board and talk it out in group with us
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

+ Reply to Thread