+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pennsylvania stream search....help.

Default Pennsylvania stream search....help.

Need help with finding a stream. My wife and I are taking a quick trip to Washington DC next week with stops in southern Pennsylvania (Falling Waters and Gettysburg). Are there any easily accessible streams in those areas where I can spend 3-4 hours wetting a line on a trout stream? I've always had good advise in this forum, so thanks in advance. JD

Default Re: Pennsylvania stream search....help.

Can't help much with the Gettysburg area but if you're in the vicinity of Falling Waters I have some choices you can consider. First is the Youghiogheny River. You can fish the area upstream of the falls at Ohiopyle, even during low water conditions. Holds some excellent Browns and Rainbows. Just outside of Ohiopyle is a stream called Meadow Run (take Rt 380 south thru town). If the conditions aren't too low it is a very beautiful stream and has good numbers of Browns and Rainbows. Fish from the lower access point just off Rt 380 upstream to the Dinner Bell Pike bridge. That's a good 6 hours of fishing. A friend of mine runs a pay to play stream just off Dinner Bell Pike called Beaver Creek. It's a tributary of Meadow Run and he stocks some great fish (in the 30 inch class). Here's the web site if you'd like more details and information on his place.

http://beavercreekanglers.com/index.htm

All these places are within 10 mins or less of Falling Waters and should give you a chance to wet a line. Have fun!
    Joe Bertolini

Jeff,
    Two maps from the PA Fish & Boat.........
    Fayette County.....
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/count ... s/faye.htm

Adams County........

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/count ... s/adam.htm

* Water levels are very low, so you may want to look for a large stream or lake!
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

Blog Entries

Jeff,

Check out this web site and you will find that it gives links to many parts of Pennsylvania. You should be able to find some data on an area you will be visiting.

http://pennsylvaniaonthefly.com/

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Hey Jeff
    There are a ton of waters around Gettysburg that are worth fishing. Your closest choice would be the conewago. Fishing there was slow towards the end of the summer. That stream has almost no holdover. I know they re-stock it, and I'm not sure if that has happened this fall or not. I did drive past the other day and noticed the water was low and slow - I would pass on this one for now.

The safe bet would be a quick drive up to Carlisle to fish the breeches, the letort, or big springs. You could also head out to chambersburg to fish falling springs. My first choice would be the Breeches. I'm not sure if you fish spring creeks often, but they can be pretty frustrating. When I want to go out and bust my tail for a seven inch trout, I go to big springs. When I really want to be humbled, I fish the letort. The breeches always has fish rising, and the crowds haven't been that bad lately. I would be more than happy to shoot you directions. I work in Gettysburg and Live outside of DC, so I can probably give you a hand from anywhere. Just shoot me a PM.

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

If you don't mind the extra drive a sure bet is the Tulpehocken in Reading. Arguably the best stream in Southeastern PA. Right now the fishing is better in the mornings from sunrise until around 11:00 AM. The trico hatch is still pretty reliable and you can always catch fish on a tan caddis or a variety of terrestials. Try the stretch between the Papermill and Red Bridge. You can check out the stream conditions and hatch at:
    http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/1sc_tullyconditions.cfm

I also agree that the Yellow Breeches is another good stream and it's closer to Gettysburg. The fish are quite active in the evenings, especially on the deep flats below "the run" and above the Playhouse.

in the falling water area, laurel hill creek is also a good bet. there are 2 fly only sections the upper section is better for trout and the lower section also has a good smallie population. on the way from falling water to gettysburg you'll be on the turnpike. from somerset to bredford exit it follows raystown branch of the juniata river, this has some nice water along rt 31 which you can pick up in somerset and get back on the turnpike in bedford. from bedford to breezewood the stream turns more into a smallie stream with very nice water for flyfishing. and then there is alway the susquehanna near harrisburg for smallie action too. right under the turnpike bridge is very good fishing as is the dauphin narrows section.

The Codorus Creek in York County is right outside of Hanover, PA which isn't far from Gettysburg at all. It's a tail water; so to speak and is COLD as heck with good flows and some beautiful wild browns. There is also a special regulation section on it.

Here is some more [url=http://www.fish.state.pa.us/specreg.htm#york:79ff4]info[/url:79ff4].

Thanks for all the suggestions, we'll pray for a little rain, it sounds like you need it in Penn. as much as we do in this part of Ill.

+ Reply to Thread