Is it the best interest of the new fly tyer to direct them to discount and non-traditional outlets for tying materials before they have had the opportunity to learn the quality levels of mainstream tying materials from the traditional outlets? I ask this because of post today that did just that; sent the newbie right to the Dollar Store and Craft Stores before the newbie has even experienced quality materials.

I know some will disagree with me, but I was introduced to fly tying with quality materials, and it was a couple of years before I was comfortable using the off-brand materials from non-traditional sources. I still occasionally use materials from craft stores and discount stores, but I cut my teeth on the good stuff and know how to adapt the inferior quality that often comes from these non-traditional outlets in order to produce a fly that will be effective and durable. The newbie has yet to learn these techniques, and I fear they may become frustrated before they have the opportunity to learn the basic tying techniques.

I believe that every new tier should be taught the basics of tying with high quality materials so they know what good stuff is. Personally, I have donated most of my accumulation of inferior materials to our annual bargain table. Once you learn what you're doing, then you can experiment with materials from other sources. Some of them are great, and some are not. I find my tying time is more enjoyable when I'm not sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I think we do the new tier a disservice by sending them to the bargain bin right out of the chute.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe