+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fall crappin.

1. Default Fall crappin.

There is a damm three blockes from my home. I dammes up a local lake... Anyway it has awya been a pretty well for sunnys crappy along with a few northerns and smallies there. Lattley however I have been catching some of the largest crappys I have ever cought there... All weighing 1 1/2 to 2 or more pounds. It could just be the time of the year. Or dare I say that I am becoming more aware of the types of fly's to tie for them...lol

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fall crappin.

Amazing how that is, the longer we fish, the better we get.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Could be your skills are improving, could be the fish are growing, could be anything. It is great that your out catching some high quality fish and that's the good thing. Congrats.
    Remember we all live down stream

Blog Entries

keep a journal of what flies etc you use, where you fish and any other things that are differnet. it will help later on. put a little more information in your profile perhaps some of us can fish with you.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I tend to get larger crappie inthe fall. I think they are stockig up for the spawn in the spring.

Rick

As I have read a number of times, they seem to 'strap on the feedbag' in anticipation of the 'lean' winter pickins. The Fish and Game paople here in NE have many times told those of us on the local boards that fall is the best time to catch a lot of good Crappie and Bass. They seem to come in close and try to put on the winter weight. I am guessing that right up along a dam, there would be lots of minnows for them to chase.

Good Luck and enjoy them! (Got any Crappie Candy flies? Been good for me lately!)

PS, if you need help investigating thei phenomenon, let us know. I am sure you'd have plenty of volunteers!!
    Don Rolfson

This is the time of the year. Mostly when leafes on trees turn and the water temp begin to drop some fish spiecies go into "O my gosh winter is coming and I heve to eat roght now" mode.

Bluegills, crappie and smallies are I think the most prominent of these. This happens around my parts when water temperature drops to about 65 degrees. On some waters with smallies you have to make sure that your rod is secured all of ther time. The darn thing hit so hard they are known to rip the rod out of fishermans hands...

Last two weekends my wife and I had a ball with something like fish every ten minutes and the water is still round 70.
    Can't wait for this weekend... We are going into we "O my gosh winter is coming and we have no crappie in the freezer" mode.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread