+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas is coming - new trout rod maybe

Default Christmas is coming - new trout rod maybe

So, like every year, the family has no sweet clue what to get me for Christmas. Well, I think I would like to have a nice trout rod/reel to fish speckled or brook trout on the streams. I only trout fish a couple or three times a year so I don't want to spend a whole pile but my St. Croix Avid 9 foot 8 weight with Teton Tioga is just a little much for brook trout. I really love my Avid which I use for Atlantic Salmon and smallmouth bass, but with the little trout flies, it just pounds them too hard, not to mention no play at all when you hook one. I would like to stick with the St. Croix, maybe the Triumph or Reign in an 8 foot 4 weight. For a reel I am leaning toward a Tioga, they work so well.

What do you think? What would you choose for length/weight? I only have ever used an 8 weight for everything.

Dwight

Default Re: Christmas is coming - new trout rod maybe

Check out the Sage SLT. They are discontinued and there are some real firesale prices out there.

I just picked up a 7'6" 3wt and it's one sweet casting rod. You can really feel it load up and the short 3wt is both very handy on the small streams and the smaller fish actually play well.

I landed a 16" brown today using 7X tippet. It has enough backbone to handle a reasonably large fish and the tip is soft enough to protect the light 7X tippet.

I have a St. Croix Imperial (I think it's the predecessor to the Reign) and while a nice rod, it cannot hold a candle to the SLT.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Dwight. one of the sponsors here, Global doRbeR, has a whole range of small stream rod that you might want to look at. Some wonderful stuff, I own 2 of their rods and couldn't be more pleased. No connection other than being a satisfied customer.

If you have been a good boy all year maybe santa will bring you a new rod---------BILL

Hey Dwight,

I'm not necessarily recommending that you ask Santa for a 3-piece, 7ft. 10in., Sage 00-wt. ultralight fly rod, because this rod is a bit pricey.

Still, since you live in Canada the Christmas reindeer flights will be shorter and faster, which reduces the delivery cost, right? Also, you are wanting to focus on brook trout, which -- correct me if I'm wrong -- tend to be smaller trout as a rule, and many people consider them the best-eating of all the trout species. If I lived in brookie country I would fish for them for all I'm worth.

Anyway, I own a Sage 00-wt. and I wanted to let you know that it (and any other ultralight or lightweight rod) will probably do fine as a brookie rod. I can say this because I just returned from the FAOL Idaho Fish-In. While there, I caught seven western cutthroat trout out of the powerful Lochsa and Selway rivers. While I never was lucky enough to connect with a large cutthroat (which I'd define as one longer than 14-inches) the 8-to-12 inchers I caught were handled quite well with my double-ought. If you had a 00-wt. rod don't see why the typical-size brook trout couldn't be caught by you with equal fun and confidence.

So...I would recommend that your brookie rod be nothing heavier than a 3-wt. Don't be afraid of going lighter than a 3-wt. Don't be afraid to go all the way down to 000-wt.

As for rod length, I guess that depends on the width of the rivers you intend to fish. No, I said that wrong: it depends on the width and nature of the environment surrounding the rivers that you intend to fish. An in-close environment calls for a shorter rod, whereas a wide-open river with few trees and shrubs and no steep banks behind allows the use of a longer rod.

Good luck with Santa, and with those brookies. It gotta be a great thing to live in brookie country.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

I just picked up a 9' 4wt Winston Vapor for trout season here in Ks. I haven't used it on trout yet, but with the way this rod fishes and fights LMB, SMB, BG, crappies, green sunnies, and yellow perch, I am convinced that it will be a superb trout rod! I even hooked up with and landed an eighteen inch Drum in my pontoon, that put the Ross Rythm 1 to the test. This rod casts small trout flies, dries, and even size 6 Clouser minnows effortlessly. I am very much satisfied with my decision as I am sure you will be when you decide on your new trout rod. TROUT SEASON STARTS IN SEVEN DAYS AND I CAN'T WAIT!!
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

ROR-EYE,

Oooohhh, an 18-inch drum! That had to be one wild ride!

If I'm not being too nosy, what fly did you fool him with? A drum is one of the fish I haven't caught yet in Kansas -- not with fly tackle, anyway. I've caught lots of them with spinning tackle, using nightcrawlers and Mepps spinners.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Dwight

If we knew what type of water you plan on fishing, it might be easier to recommend a rod length. Also, if you really like you Avid, why not buy another one in a shorter length and lighter line weight? And a smaller Teton reel.

Although I fish a 5wt, a 4wt seems anymore to be the new standard weight for trout fishing. If you're fishing smaller streams, you might want to look at a 7 1/2' rod. If llarger ones, then 8 1/2' - 9' might be better.

One other thing to think about, is what size flys will you be fishing with? And will you be fishing mostly dry flys? Nymphs? Or a combination of both?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I'm glad you poted this Dwight. I'm in the same boat. I use Avid 7 wt on warm waters and now I'm thinking about replacing my 5wt Premier with something bit better. I fish both the streams and stillwaters for trout and currently considering either Avid or Legend Ultra. However I am open for any suggestions about different rods - brands.
    I have total of 4 St. Croix rods and love em all.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

This year, on the small streams, I was always hung in the bushes, you walked down the middle of the stream typically fishing the sides and I was always caught up. I use flies in the 10-14 range like muddlers and drys, the odd #16 nymph. This year, we were catching 12-16 inch trout, some of them sea-run. In the larger rivers I would use my Avid908, because you run te chance to pick up an Atlantic Salmon, it is the smaller streams where the salmon don't hang out that I would like to target.

Maybe I will just get a new Avid and tioga, at least I am used to the action, maybe an 7.5 or 8 foot in a four weight.

+ Reply to Thread