+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great day, awful day.

Default Great day, awful day.

Last week I got my first fly rod, a Sage FLi. I fished with spinning rigs growing up, but never with a fly rod before. I was able to borrow a friend's Orvis 5-weight rod to try but I soon realized I wanted my own rod. I got it last Thursday and have only had two short times to fish with it since.

This morning was my last day off, so I got up early and headed down to the Smoky Mountains National Park to fish the Elkmont area. I really wanted to catch my first fish on this rod. I got there and started working my way along the stream. I'd park, fish my way downstream for a bit with a pheasant tail nymph, then put the rod carefully in the back of the truck and drive up to the next turnoff. Halfway up the stream I caught my first fish - a 4" brookie. Small fish but it was a fish nonetheless. I fished my way down that section of the stream, got in the truck, and drove a ways. I realized that I was to the end of the road and I'd have to turn around and drive a longer distance. So I got out of the truck to break the rod down. When I did, I noticed something rolling around in the back of the truck. The last 1" of my rod. First big fly fishing expedition with my new rod, first (little) fish, and first broken rod all in the same day.

I'll now be 4 weeks without a rod. I'm torn between buying a good rod case for better protection, or buying a backup rod so a mishap doesn't end another day of fishing early.

Do most folks fish with a backup?

Abe

I almost always bring two or three rods with me on a day's fishing trip. And I also break my rod down at least in half and carry it up front with me if I'm moving from place to place. You don't have to unstring your rod to break it down. If it's a four piece, just put the fly on the lowest guide of the top half of the rod, take the two halves apart, and wind up the slack.

[This message has been edited by OkieBass133 (edited 05 July 2005).]

Stuff happens. I usually have a backup with me, or available close. There are a number of decent rods for less than $100 that make good backups, or even primaries.

I have learned to protect my rods from myself. I always break a rod down (while leaving it rigged) when putting it in my car or truck. I will either stow it rigged in a soft rod/reel bag like Dan Blanton's Rigged and Ready Bags (The Inks Rod Wrapper and Abels rod bag were similar products), or set it on top of an old blanket or sleeping bag which is then folded over it.

I have seen a number of other homemade solutions for truck bed or truck shell storage that involve simple racks or clips or even velcro strips to secure broken down rods to the side of the bed or shell.

There are also a number rod carriers available for transporting the rod outside the vehicle while fully assembled. Some have two piers with magnetic bases that can be attached to vehicle temporarily, others include completely enclosed and lockable systems that are compatible with rack systems.

Just Like tailingloop, I use a Dan Blanton Rigged And Ready Rod Bag. Have traveled in lots of boats, pickup beds, cars and these bags really do work to prevent damage and also allow the rod to be rigged with fly. These soft padded bags fit 2 to 5 piece rods fully rigged/strung and broken down with the reel on them. 3-minutes from stowed to fishing. I have two of them. Abel used to sell one and I have one of those too ; albeit that bag is not as nice-but very good too.

Rich

Something I've used when I don't want to take everything apart and put it in the tube is a hard plastic gun case with foam lining. I picked up a 2 gun case for around $25 on sale. I just take the rod down like Okiebass said, put it in the case and then close it up using just one of the latches (it has 4 on it). Everything is secure and protected from dirt and sliding around. And it is quick to get it back together and on the water again.

all of the above is great advice and i won't add to it...just wanted to say, bummer about the rod.

i had a similar experience with a new rod. called the manufacturer and they said to send it in but it would be 4-6 weeks. i explained it was my striper rod and there was only four weeks left in the season. next day on my doorstep was a new rod, more expensive rod (they no longer made my model) with a note saying "keep this, just send the broken one back." if i were you, i'd give that a try...

92Esquire,

Obtain a length of PVC pipe and make a full length case for your rod. (cap one end and put a threaded plug on the other. Make a full length sock and fasten it in on both the cap and the plug ends. Carry the rod to and from fishing in the case.

When the rod is set up, put a pouch over the reel and fasten it with a rubber band so the outfit won't slide out. Secure the case in the truck so it won't slide out or bang around.

This will speed things up when changing fishing spots and you'll have more room in the cab. (you need the sock in the case to avoid wear due to rattling. A larger diameter pipe could be used so that both the rod and reel would fit in.

Using the larger PVC would also allow more than one rod to be carried. If you take this route be sure to provide additional sections in the sock. You don't want the rods to bang together.

Some simple rules.

NEVER NEVER NEVER open or close any door, especially hatch backs and trunk lids. without checking to see where your rod is.

If you have a long trek to get to the stream and back, set up the rod on the stream. When you're going back to the truck, break the rod down, put it in a sock and put the reel in a zippered pocket or some other secure place.

When I was young I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get through an overgrown section of path. The next day I couldn't find my reel...and luckily found it on that overgrown path.

It will work for you as it worked for a friend of mine. I've been gonna do it for 15 years but never get around to it. I'm pretty good at giving advice but no good at taking it!

Good luck!

Ol' Bill 1932

Thank you all for the advice. The rod is currently on its way back to Sage for a warranty claim. I wasn't the only one with bad luck, though. When I was in, the fly shop already had two other broken rods come in that day. And while I was hanging around there another came in.

ol blue's suggestion may be the quickest fix - I have a good gun case from my competitive shotgun days - I never even thought of that. If that doesn't work I'll check out snipe's PVC rig or purchasing some type of rod sock. For sure I'll be more careful with my rod when I get it back.

And not wanting to wait 4 weeks for a new rod I broke down. While I really like the Sage FLi, it's a 9 footer. The trout streams in the Smoky Mountains can be pretty tight in places, and I've had friends recommend shorter rods. But I didn't want to have to buy a new spool and flyline to go with a new shorter rod this soon after getting my Sage.

Last night while wondering what to do I called up eBay. And found a 7'6" 5 wt St. Croix Legend Elite closing soon for what I considered a fair price. Same line weight so that I can use my current reel and line interchangeably. I ended up winning it, so I should be back on the water soon. Hopefully my "backup" rod won't be so good as to displace my "primary"!

Thanks all for your advice and help. I'm sure I have plenty of other stupid tricks up my sleeve where I'll need more of it!

Abe

Sounds like you've got it figured...

But here's a way that can be fairly versitile...

The basic rod case shown IMHO is the most convenient way to carry a rod [you can get single ones].

The pvc is for an extra tip if you happen to have one.

The end of the case has been cut off and a pvc adapter has been added along with a threaded plug... [these tubes all seem to come with a thin pvc inner tube].. This allows you to add another pvc tube whatever length and diameter you want.

This addition allows you to carry your tube full length...sort of a handy thing when hopping from lake to lake...actually the original case where you break the rod down is pretty darn handy anyway....you can toss them in boats, pickups, etc and they are well protected.

By using your case like this it protects the whole thing from the elements ...dust, rocks...if you decide to strap it to a roof carrier.
    [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ducksterman/IMG_0020.jpg:53513]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ducksterman/IMG_0020.jpg[/url:53513]

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ducksterman/IMG_0019.jpg:53513]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ducksterman/IMG_0019.jpg[/url:53513]

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 08 July 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread