Last week I got my first fly rod, a Sage FLi. I fished with spinning rigs growing up, but never with a fly rod before. I was able to borrow a friend's Orvis 5-weight rod to try but I soon realized I wanted my own rod. I got it last Thursday and have only had two short times to fish with it since.

This morning was my last day off, so I got up early and headed down to the Smoky Mountains National Park to fish the Elkmont area. I really wanted to catch my first fish on this rod. I got there and started working my way along the stream. I'd park, fish my way downstream for a bit with a pheasant tail nymph, then put the rod carefully in the back of the truck and drive up to the next turnoff. Halfway up the stream I caught my first fish - a 4" brookie. Small fish but it was a fish nonetheless. I fished my way down that section of the stream, got in the truck, and drove a ways. I realized that I was to the end of the road and I'd have to turn around and drive a longer distance. So I got out of the truck to break the rod down. When I did, I noticed something rolling around in the back of the truck. The last 1" of my rod. First big fly fishing expedition with my new rod, first (little) fish, and first broken rod all in the same day.

I'll now be 4 weeks without a rod. I'm torn between buying a good rod case for better protection, or buying a backup rod so a mishap doesn't end another day of fishing early.

Do most folks fish with a backup?

Abe