Quote Originally Posted by NoLuck
I kinda like the allure of finding out things from different people and meeting mentors and such. I believe the electronic age of technology detracts from the tradition.
Here here!

I have no problems with gadgetry and new stuff but the disinterest in the history of the sport saddens me. Some newbies I've run into never heard of Marinaro or Schwiebert!

When I got into fly fishing; many of the past masters were still alive but getting on in their years. I was enamored with the history of the sport especially the literature even before I actually started fly fishing. When Mac Francis wrote his book, "Catskill Fly Tyer" about Harry Darbee; I took a bus from NYC to the Catskills and walked several miles just to meet Harry and get him to sign my book. He died just a few weeks after I spent a few hours chatting with him so after that I made it a point to personally visit, meet or correspond with as many of my mentors as possible.

As a result I was fortunate enough to meet, dine, hang out, or correspond with some of the giants of this sport; most of which are no longer with us to share their memories in person. In the process I also got most of my fly fishing library inscribed. The list reads like a who's who of fly fishing history but when I mention some of the names to the younger crowd; all I get are blank stares.

While I don't expect my heroes to be your heroes; I do expect a baseball fan to know of Babe Ruth while extolling the virtues of Barry Bonds...

...well maybe virtues isn't the right word when discussing Barry.

In other words; enjoy the present but don't neglect the past. There is so much to be learned and enjoyed and a lot of it is only available from old masters, mentors or old books. While I won?t argue that the inclusion or exclusion of new or old ways will better your fishing skills; I will argue that if you don?t take the time to absorb what information is only available from less ?technological? sources; you will be missing something special that cannot be easily replaced.

And to those that feel the old ways are OLD and no longer valid; I need only remind you that fish are dumb; can't read and don't know the difference between a tactic described by Halford or Hughes; a fly designed by Bergman or Best; or a rods by Loomis or Leonard. If it looks good to them; they go for it and don?t consider the source; and neither should we.

It?s all good!