+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catch and Release Study

Default Catch and Release Study

Here's a short blurb about research at the University of Illinois regarding "catch and release":

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 092707.php

The overall findings are a bit on the common sense side and not really breaking new ground. However, the study does provide some quantitative data and more to think about.

BW

Default Re: Catch and Release Study

very interesting

jed

Very incomplete study - it is missing a lot of info:

1. This study was performed on Bonefish alone and not other species.
    2. No information on how many times a fish is chased by a predator in a 4 hour period.
    3. No actual study of number of fish to succumb to a predator after release.

I could throw in more reasons but don't have time - just a knee jerk response. It looks to me like a VERY good example on how to deceive with statistics - In my honest opinion. These studies REALLY DO need to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I must agree with Panfisher. The study is weak. We're not reading the research but a report of the research. That is always a problem. It appears to be a very limited research focus, bonefish only.

Take them with a grain of salt and you will not be C&R fishing for much longer. These studies will be paraded out by groups like PETA and believe it the masses will eat it up. However flawed the study may be the anti-fishing groups will spin it up quite well.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

PETA just wants to get us.

I didn't make the correct impression.

My real impression is that the guy was paid by someone like PETA to add confusion the the pot. What I meant to say is take the accuracy of those reports with a grain of salt. They are usually one sided for a reason.

The real problem is that there are morons out there who will take this study as fact when it is quite the opposite!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Exactly.

At least they mentioned the species ...but the general conclusions are ridiculous ..like comparing the survival of a catfish to a trout...if I kept a trout out of the water for 4 minutes & was practicing C&R I ought to be flogged....note I didn't say sued...too much of that going on.....

I'm Tempted to generalize about Studies. The News Broadcasters LOVE Studies!!, Global Warming, Death, Paris, Britney, Racial stuff, Politics (Crap). Broadcasting/Publishing Studies is worthless to the average citizen. Studies are an important step in fixing a problem or preventing one, but even after Studies are done, things get fouled up! The Narrow View of Studies reminds me of a High School Report.
    The ONLY people that KNOW or Care about our Fish & Animals are Fishers and Hunters! PETA isn't plugged into conservation, just blindly being IDIOTS!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread