+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: scientific anglers new sharkskin line

Default Re: scientific anglers new sharkskin line

I'm back on-line and I don't know how. Our computer crashed and we had to buy a new one. I think we are here on a trial version of Yahoo and AOL, but we are MSN customers. Go figure.
    GnuBee, I don't know where my head was when I told you I got an extra 30' on my cast with the new SA line. I was actually getting about 15- 20 feet. I don't mind the noise the line makes and I surely do like the improved distance. However, my concern was piqued when I talked with an un-named member of our Fish-In who mentioned that he thought it was a line that was just plain looking for a place to find and pick up dirt. Upon inspection of the line, it seems to be shunk wrapped around a woven inner core. As such, only a small portion of the line touches the guides as it passes through them. The valleys in the line don't seem to be nearly as deep as the valleys in the afore mentioned ridged line, so I'm leaning toward the notion that less dirt is picked up on the woven SA than the other brand's ridged line. I guess the long and short of my point is that; If I had $99 to spend on a GOOD flyline, I'd go for the SA. And, clean it fter every day's fishing. I really do like the increased distance of my casts.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

Lowtech good to have ya back on line. Please put the recipe for dutch oven pizza Lasagna on here. There is a post in sound off about Features whats Cooking.

I bought a 12" lodge cast iron oven ( 3 legged model ) and would like to make that dish. Wow was it ever good! Whatever will you do for an encore??????
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

So is this new line just another ridge line....or is it something significantly better to command the $$$$....?

Ducks,

Not another ridgeline, definately something different.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I test cast the new S.A. Ultimate Trout Taper line with the Sharkskin technology surface last Friday.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... /WhatsNew/

The rep. stated the production taper and weight will be very close to the original Master Distance WF design. Slightly compound taper with more weight favoring the front of the line and slightly lesser diameter to the rear half. The original Mastery Distance was my favorite taper design (prior to the release of GPX, XPS, XYZ variations).

The line will begin shipping Oct. 1, 2007 and should be available the second week of Oct. at your dealers.

I preordered two lines WF5F in Chartreuse and WF3F in Heron Grey.

The rep. stated the S.A. testing for durability was showing 10x life however, the UV resistance was identical to existing lines. I belive the official statement from S.A. is 3x the overall life extension wrt the Mastery series. Incidentally the latest pricing from S.A. and Rio for their premium lines is in the $62-$65 range, if the new Ultimate line has 3x life,,,it is well worth the $99 price.

My main interest was not in additional distance, the line is so slippery it will make reach casts, mending and any special wave slack line presentations much more efficient. The line also has an improved flotation wich I did not have the chance to test.

Rio is rumored to have a comparable line ready for release very soon,,,,,,the competition in line designs is great for the consumer.

Regards,
    FK

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    Lowtech good to have ya back on line. Please put the recipe for dutch oven pizza Lasagna on here. There is a post in sound off about Features whats Cooking.

I bought a 12" lodge cast iron oven ( 3 legged model ) and would like to make that dish. Wow was it ever good! Whatever will you do for an encore??????
    Well Gnu Bee, that recipe has been posted on the sound off board. I'll be sending a copy to Lady Fisher if she wants to use it on the What's Cooking page.
    Later Buddy,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Thanks FK, I received a line a month ago and wrote about it some before the trip to Idaho. In actual casting on a pond I found the line went through the guides with less friction resulting in either longer casts or less effort for casts of regular lengths. The surface resembles embossing and does not contact the guides as much as a normal smooth line. It picks up from the surface quite dry with the many obvious benefits of that. I also mentioned that it did not 'recoil' when cast straight out, a very important feature when fishing frog-water. I reported that it casts farther, smoother. stays clean longer, floats higher than any line I have ever cast. Some folks must find things wrong with everything to show their superiority, hence, the 'complaints' of noise. Someone once said the line is more important than the rod; still true.

Quote Originally Posted by FK
    The rep. stated the S.A. testing for durability was showing 10x life however, the UV resistance was identical to existing lines. I belive the official statement from S.A. is 3x the overall life extension wrt the Mastery series. Incidentally the latest pricing from S.A. and Rio for their premium lines is in the $62-$65 range, if the new Ultimate line has 3x life,,,it is well worth the $99 price.
    That would make it around $33 when compared to the lives of other lines and a real bargin, not to mention all the other benefits SA Sharkskin has to offer. I think I am going to put this one on my Christmas wish list.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Sorry, my bad. When i read the original post i assumed he wanted an opinion, which to me includes both pros and cons.
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

I was able to get a 6wt Shark Skin prototype that came from the Denver Dealer Show just before I departed for the Lowell Fish-In.

I fished it for 5 days at Lowell on 6wt Sage XP.

It is the best shooting fresh water line I have ever used adding 25 ft or so to my distance cast. It is noisy going through the guides.

On the 3rd day of fishing the tip was sinking so I cleaned it and my fishbuds line that was also into its 3rd day of fishing with Glide. Multiple times more dirt came off the Shark Skin than my fishbuds line. I guess the bumpy feeling of the line surface picks up more dirt than other lines.

I have ordered a 5wt Shark Skin and looking forward to trying it on a medium action Winston LT.
    Max

+ Reply to Thread