It seems to me that we mere mortals when casting a WF line find that when we get past about 40 ft of line aerialized ...find that our cast begins to deteriorate....that would be the point at which the WF taper turns into the running line for most lines....the transfer of energy gets harder...I hope we're in agreement so far...

Now when folks start talking about aerializing more line...and I take it to mean more than 40' are these just the really really good casters that can do that....or am I missing something here????

Here's an excerpt from a Lefty column that someone referenced in the overling thread that is an example...

"If you switch to a lighter line, you may not have enough weight outside the rod tip to cause the rod to load or flex properly, if you hold the normal amount of line outside the rod during casting. But if you extend this lighter line about 10 feet or a little more outside the rod than you normally would for this cast under calm conditions, you can cast a greater distance into the wind. By extending the additional amount of lighter line outside the rod, you cause it to flex as if you were false casting the normal length of the recommended line size.

Since the rod is now flexing properly, it will deliver tight loops, but the lighter line is thinner. This means that there will be less air resistance encountered on the cast."

I assume he's talking well into the running line ...assuming WF...maybe he means DT....I can aerialize more of that.